• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Watched the 1979 version of All's Quiet on the Western Front. Absolutely tragic.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Catherine, Called Birdy (2022). 6/10, would not rewatch. It was okay, but it was half an hour to 45 minutes too long. As I have said before in the Series thread, Bella Ramsey always delivers impeccable performances; it's a real shame most of the cast wasn't up to par (barring maybe Sophie Okonedo, who is another favourite of mine, and Lesley Sharp as Catherine's nursemaid.) This one, go figure out, made me want to read the book it's based on; I have yet to go to my local book fair, so I'll see if I can find it.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • Honestly, I've put off watching the film Nope long enough and decided to give it a shot. I admit I was more entertained than I expected to be.

…I may have read up on the film whenever the script was supposedly leaked, and didn't care to watch it immediately. But I'm glad I watched it.

Years
  • I watched Stephen Chow's Journey to the West! I 100% recommend it if you're into Chinese wuxia/kung-fu movies with a comedy twist. It's not his best film but it's a lot of fun.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Ahh yes, just checked, it was the Death Note movie. Much worse than I expected honestly, but I'm not sure if it was a bad movie, or if I was just upset that it didn't follow the original plot.

I mean, that was the last movie I finished. I'm in the middle of El Camino (the Breaking Bad movie). I take frequent breaks because life be like that sometimes

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • I gave Barbarian (2022) a shot due to the intriguing trailer. Without saying much, I was left desiring more. Otherwise, a fun and suspenseful watch to pass the time.

Years
  • Doctor Sleep. Meh, even though it's long i thought it still was kinda of shallow adaptation, rushing through some of the parts of the book that I found most interesting. I wish there was more in it dealing with Danny's role as Doctor Sleep.

I also don't like the idea of changing some details solely to accommodate the 1980 Shining film. Even though Kubrick's The Shining is a thrilling classic, I still am aware that it made some major changes from Stephen King's novel, one huge difference is the conclusion of Hallorann's plot, which if accepted as canon creates a staggering plot hole for King's sequel. This movie adaptation of Doctor Sleep wants to acknowledge Kubrick's film, but can't cut out some of the chapters from the Doctor Sleep novel that would contradict the movie, because it's too important to Danny's development, so they write a compromise to try to incorporate both, but I don't think it should be this movie's responsibility to address another adaptation of the source material. That's it's own version, you do yours.

The movie often puts itself in a position for comparison with The Shining film, when it doesn't have to, trying to recreate some of the images, lighting and camera angles shot-for-shot, and I think you have to be careful doing that, or it can start to look like parody, and a lot of the the most disturbing and iconic parts of the 80s film like the bathtub and the twins, the door being chopped down that get redone in this movie fall flat for me.

The showdowns were anti-climatic, Abra is overpowered, and I thought the acting was forgettable, with the exception being the riveting Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat. She's the best thing that the movie had going for it. I still didn't like this movie but will give it a star or two just for how fabulous she was in the part.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I watched The Wonder earlier this week; it's a very solid movie, Florence Pugh is great. She loves a good little weird religious movie

I gave Barbarian (2022) a shot due to the intriguing trailer. Without saying much, I was left desiring more. Otherwise, a fun and suspenseful watch to pass the time.

I saw Barbarian a month or so ago now, I really liked it!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The Count Of Monte Cristo

Still one of my favorite movies. Such an elegant and satisfying plot of revenge, likeable characters all around, and the classic fight in the field at the end is just mwah

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Aftersun which was stunningly beautiful and poignant I loved it

Years
  • Spirited (2022)

Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds' take on A Christmas Carol is predictable, but it is also so much fun! I highly recommend trying to see it this festive season 😊

Back