• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who Is Your Most Hated Character?

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
Years
  • I want to keep this thread lighthearted, but oh my God...
    Whitney has to be one of the most annoying characters I have ever interacted with in any Pokemon game. And no, her Miltank has nothing to do with it.

Let's discuss the HG experience.

The second I met the treb rat in the Goldenrod Radio Tower, she's venting right off about how she didn't get the prize after getting an answer wrong, or something like that. She also pronounces "Apricorns" as "Apricots". Hello to you too, Walmart Bianca.

And then when you finally defeat her after the Miltank onslaught, she actually has the gall to start sobbing like she's the victim.

And in the anime? Not much better. "I guess I went through the wrong secret staircase!" But enough about me, let's hear who you hated most. Damian? Iris? Aaron? Go off.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Hoooo boy, I have several candidates for this dishonor. Let's see.

Ghetsis: Yeah, I know he's the villain and you're supposed to hate him, but I can't even like him as that. He's so obviously evil it gets insufferable by the end of the game, and his purely despicable nature actually undermined what could have been an interesting discussion on Pokémon ownership. He's also pretty much useless in B2/W2 as well; if he hadn't been there, both Zinzolin and Colress would have been more interesting as characters. In conclusion: he was better off not existing at all.

Clair: Again, you're supposed to hate her, but I think she has even less justification to refuse to give you the badge than Whitney does. Whitney is a dumb teenager, of course she's supposed to act like it. Clair is a grown woman whose cousin is the frickin' Champion and yet she can't even manage half the dignity other Gym Leaders younger than her have. To boot, it's revealed she hasn't even passed the Dragon's Den test, which really begs the question of how she really treats her Mons (hence the parallel with Silver in HG/SS). Forget all the ribbing about her ridiculous outfit, it's what inside that's rotten.

Falkner: A rare case where the remakes made me dislike a character about whom I was previously neutral to positive. He was fine in Crystal, but his phone number sidequest in HG/SS left me with a bad taste in my mouth. For those who don't remember: you find him im Celadon City arguing with Janine about whose dad is the better Trainer. To get Falkner's number, you have to say his dad, whom we never once meet in the game, is a better Trainer than Koga. Even taking out the fact I'm a massive Koga simp, there's just something really uncomfortable about being forced to insult someone's father in front of their child. From then on, I knew Falkner by a much less kind name that I'll leave you to figure out.

Zinnia: If there is anything that undermines the plot of OR/AS as a whole, it's probably tied to her. I already disliked the Delta Episode for being a shoddy attempt at an edgy plotline in a canon Pokémon game, but Zinnia made it ten times worse. She fully supported Team Aqua/Magma's destruction of the world as we know it and beat up several people for their Mega Stones... just so she could get the right to see Rayquaza? And then has the utter audacity to go Pikachu-face when her grand plan doesn't work, and never faces any repercussions because of course she has an "excuse" for all of it? She's annoying as hell, and I'm glad she disappears right after the Delta Episode.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    The self-proclaimed rivals, especially the ones that repeatedly interrupt gameplay to act as a walking tutorial and to give silly speeches about friendship and rivalry. Like, geez dude, get a life and give me some space, sure we can battle from time to time, but if your team barely changed from the last time we've met a few moments ago there's no need to be so desperate for battling again.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Quick List from each region.
    -I don't have one from gen 1.
    -Clair: I'm pretty sure anyone of you can guess why.
    -Maxie and Archie: the worst evil team leaders.
    -None from gen four I can think of.
    -I'm bias as hell for gen 5, but almost all of team plasma is the kind of people I'd enjoy tossing in a pit of acid.
    -The rivals: all of them don't have a character, and the fact that there's 4 of them and not even the other player character is memorable is kinda bad.
    -I don't remember anyone from gen 7 I hate.
    -Sword and shield hair guns: they just enrage me.

Years
  • Oh gosh, I dunno if I'd say I hate anyone from the games. They're all okay to an extent. But I never did care much for Zinnia (sorry!) - her lore, design, and battle theme are cool, but she never grew on me as a character.

I can see why people wouldn't like Whitney. She's meant to be a bit annoying/ditzy to begin with lol, not a personality type for everyone. Fortunately it didn't bother me. What does bother me a bit is constantly being denied the badge by Clair and having to go through the Dragon's Den each time. Girl I beat you fair and square, you're the eighth gym leader and should be an example of someone level-headed!!

Years
  • Zinnia just felt like a nuisance whenever I bumped into her....

Hau & Hop were also annoying to me... but the most annoying rival for me is easily Barry. Always running around, bumping into you, yelling rubbish about fining you. Gah leave me alone already you nuisance, if I could remove you from my game I would.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • Oooh yeah. That Falkner scandal was very forgettable, but I remember now that I heard it and goddamn it was just stupid. Its childish of honestly both of them to come at each other like "hey, my father is better then yours, so shut up." Aren't they grown ass adults?

As for the Zinnia portion, I agree with that as a well. I think I had more fun playing freaking Pokemon Gaia than the edgy ORAS postgame.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Oooh yeah. That Falkner scandal was very forgettable, but I remember now that I heard it and goddamn it was just stupid. Its childish of honestly both of them to come at each other like "hey, my father is better then yours, so shut up." Aren't they grown ass adults?

Well, the problem is that they're not adults - Janine is about the same age as Red and Blue (14 or thereabouts), and I don't think Falkner is an adult yet either. So yeah, dumb teenagers being dumb teenagers and defending the family honor. Mind you, it might have been another story if we'd gotten to know more about Falkner's dad to really have us questioning the stakes (as in the Pokémon Adventures manga), but since we only get to know Koga and we know for a fact he's not only kind and disciplined, but also a good father to Janine and accomplished enough to have made it to the Elite Four... it just feels wrong to go along with Falkner's shenanigans, period.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The only character I can really think of is Hau. Absolutely obnoxious rival, I would never be his friend in a million years. I agree with the post about Zinnia as well. Although luckily for me I tend to forget about her since she's a post-game character. Now that I'm sitting here thinking it dawned on me how much I can't stand N and Cheren, but since I've played the games they're in so sparingly I don't know how strong the dislike would be now.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I know the rivals are usually just children or teenagers at the most, and children aren't exactly known for being mature, or kind or great examples of human beings so I try to cut them some slack, but boy can I not stand Hugh.

It seems like every time I met him he was going to talk about his freaking Purrloin, like yeah, dude, I get it. It sucks but I've heard the story 50 times already, no need to repeat it to me.

Oh, and Marlon, he's OK with letting the terrorists that just bombed the next town over (and would probably bomb the rest of the region / hold it hostage if you didn't stop them) get away because "the ocean accepts all rivers" and that's so many different types of wrong.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Ghetsis can literally go fuck himself. How he treated N is just simply unforgivable.

Also, that weird pervert staring through the window of the Celadon Gym. What a fucking creep. I don't know why he's there, but no matter how you word it, "this gym is full of women" or "this gym is full of strong trainers" it's s till gross he's peeping through the window.

Mira, I have a 13 year grudge against for defeating a shiny Zubat. She can stay stranded in Wayward Cave forever. I don't hate her, by any means, but I will never forgive her for using a Psychic type move on that Shiny Zubat so I couldn't catch it.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Oh, and Marlon, he's OK with letting the terrorists that just bombed the next town over (and would probably bomb the rest of the region / hold it hostage if you didn't stop them) get away because "the ocean accepts all rivers" and that's so many different types of wrong.

Hard agree. Marlon is nowhere near my least favourite character, but he was a massive disappointment because of this. Shame, because I vividly remember looking forward to seeing him in game prior to the release of BW2. I know not all Gym Leaders need to be great heroes, but this was really frickin' low of him. 😭

Speaking of great disappointment, can I add Faba to my list? You know, with so many obviously evil characters, I was kind of expecting him to finally be a subversion... only for him to turn out as evil as he looked - and beyond, in the RR episode. He's also a giant creep both in the games and in every single adaptation he's been featured in. I don't know why the heck I got my hopes up for him in the first place but I still feel some... heartbreak whenever I think of him.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Probably Barry and Hau.

- Barry: Please settle down. Comes across as manic and pushy. Would be exhausted around someone constantly like that.

- Hau: Talks about smiles too much. Borders on creepy.
    "<Player>... I'm sorry! I...I can't even make myself smile right now..."
    "I won't... If I'd been stronger, then Lillie wouldn't have... I'm ready to do whatever it takes so that we can take back our smiles and our fun adventure!"
    "That's not enough. I've gotta be able to save Pokémon on my own! If I can't do that, I'll never be an island kahuna. I'll never be able to make people really smile!"
    "I just wish everybody could be happy and find something to smile about.
    Meant nothing strange by it. Speaks from a child's viewpoint. Brings those people who tell you to smile to look more attractive to mind, however.

Gives Chairman Rose a dishonorable mention. Attributes most of it to poor plot than an awful character. Never came off too badly in most interactions. Interrupted the Champion fight about a crisis hundreds of years from now, though. Deflated the moment.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • in-game characters? probably Barry. I have a feeling I'd hate Hop too, but I can't justify it as I haven't bought SwSh. Barry just seems all over the place. too happy-go-lucky.

anime versions of characters? I'll skip Ash here since he isn't canon in games. otherwise Iris. her "bond" with dragons was glorified and all I think is it was cheesy and cliché.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hop, If you think about he trying his best to be like his brother who is a champion even no matter how many times player beats him and bested him by a mile and seems his ego kinda crushed a this point to a depression that he can't hold back anymore

Hugh: Too much "Team Plasma stole my sister's Purrloin" and keep rambling each time sees team plasma, even kinda be menacing to Ex-team plasma. That is in the past and he can't just forget about it.

Barry: Rushing things and fining player that been late a lot, constant THUD and bumping. Dude! Chill.. no need to rush.

Maxie/Archive: Their motives are identical and both of them stopping what the opposing team doing (Raise sea/cause massive drought and stop one of them from evildoings)

Hau, Aren't rivals suppose to be edgy, cocky and pushing you to an edge.. Hau is just much friendlier in general

Rivals other than Selena/Calum, 2 or 1 rival is alright but having too many that doesn't have development or catering to their part of the story which lacks of potential is poorly waste of spaces

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • My dislike for this character isn't as bad as it was when SwSh first came out, but Raihan. I mean, props to having a gym leader that doesn't technically specialize in a type, but still... I'm not a fan of the "trendy social media character" archetype. Did we really need the word "selfies" to me canon in the Pokemon universe? Also I just don't understand how people find him attractive.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • The iteration of Misty in GSC/HGSS wasn't very friendly.

This. I get that she acts like that because you interrupted her during a date (and in HG/SS she does kind of apologize for it), but... did she really just up and leave the Gym with no prior notice? Because that sounds to me like something her sisters in the anime would do, not her. Still nowhere near as much of a jerka** as Falkner and Clair are, but it bugs me.

On a side note, I also really dislike her post-timeskip haircut. It looks... weird. I imagine there's a reason it doesn't get pictured much in other media outside of G/S/C, besides retaining her iconic anime look. (Then again, HG/SS did drop the ball on a lot of character designs, so it's not a surprise to me.)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Hop: Nobody cares about your existential mid-game crisis, nobody wants you to talk to them every five minutes, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants to watch you do awkward pelvic thrusts whenever you talk to somebody. Please kindly step in front of a Greyhound bus and end everyone else's pain and suffering.

Leon: Stupidity and obnoxiousness must run in the family. This pompous, arrogant man-child doesn't know when to shut up and is probably an embarrassment to other Champions.

Red: Learn how a Thunderstone works, learn how vocal cords work, and maybe then you'd be a productive member of society instead of a bum who lives in a cave. Idiot.

Shauna: Let's face it, all of Gen 6 rivals were trash, but Shauna stands out with her constant "let's make memories together!" and "we're the bestest of friends even though [your character] just moved to the region." Find someone else to latch onto, parasite.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

While this is mostly a vent thread and I get that this is probably just exaggeration for comedy's sake, let's all take a moment to calm down and realize that wishing violence to children (even if they're fictional) or that implying that non-verbal people can't be productive members of society is not OK.

Back