• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you consider yourself a hardcore fan?

Years
    Are you a hardcore fan of the series currently? If not, would you have considered yourself a hardcore fan at any point? Additionally, if not - what is holding you back currently, if anything?

Days
    "Hardcore" is very strong word in my opinion, and I usually don't label task with it !!

Don't consider myself to be a rigorous viewer of Pokémon Anime. I had only watched during childhood, just because it's timing coincided with the time when I have lunch after coming back from school.
    If not - what is holding you back currently, if anything?
    Interest in watching TV. I only watch some live matches, news and cartoons, which takes roughly 1 to 1.5 hours in a whole day. And in cartoons, I watch Doraemon and Shinchan mostly.

Secondly, I have no interest in watching anime. They all feel like a way to escape from reality and false satisfaction of story events there, which are worthless for me.

Lastly, I only like to know about Pokémon, and for that I don't need to watch the series.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think it's fair to call myself that, no. I've been a long term fan but not a hardcore fan. I play the games casually and I've always been in the dark about the anime. When it comes to newer generations, I'm getting worse and worse about remembering the current Pokemon. I'd define Pokemon to me as an interest, but mixed among many other interests.

I had a stint playing competitively in Gen 7. That's probably the closest I've been at being a hardcore fan.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Currently, no. Largely only plays the games, and not even all of them. Would probably qualify when younger, however, at the very beginning. Engaged with way more parts of the franchise. Bought trading cards, watched the anime, and collected some of the figurines (in addition to the games).

Years
    I know a hardcore fan in rl.

Not me though. I used to be hardcore, kind of went on and off with the series through out the years.

Now, I don't even keep up with most current Pokemon news. I haven't even played gen 9 despite good recommendations. I just can't get around to like the series again, or at least right now. Pokemon Home was a huge killer of my passion for the series. Then there's the 3DS shutdown so I can't wondertrade anymore.

Pokemon AZ better be cooking something up good...for Gamefreak's sake.

Days
    Nah i only really liked the Pokèmon Mystery Dungeon games. i did play Red on someone's GBC before that a long time ago

After MD i replayed Red and Crystal on 3DS and seen some episodes of the anime. Both are good not as fun as MD in my opinion.

i did actually learnt lots more about main game Pokèmon thanks to the forums :love:

Days
    • Seen today
    I didn't have access to a lot of things and didn't have good hobbies or activities to do. There was a copy of a basic Pokemon encyclopedia lying around. I ended up poring over it and editing the whole book, making note of several errata. I had passing familiarity with the franchise. I wasn't really using a computer at the time and wasn't aware of forums and Internet resources, so I just went by what I had picked up casually over the years. The errors were basic information that I happened to know, so I was able to correctly identify them.

But that's not really a casual thing to do, so I might have inadverdently been a "Pokenerd" at one point. Or maybe I was just a nerd, who looked at Pokemon.

I was never into video games, but I was always in awe of the design of the gen. 1-3 games. The artwork on early franchised media also.

Game graphics after that tend to be hard on the eyes. Some of the spin-offs are visually great and engaging. I played a few of them and had fun, but video games in general were never my thing.

The franchise and lores became way convoluted. I don't enjoy anthropomorphizing and the mindset around anime and manga. Even childhood mainstay Pokemon is affected by them and increasingly so, so I have no interest in that part.

Early Pokemon is mostly an engineering marvel to my nerdy side.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The closest I ever was to hardcore may have been during the days of Platinum. Since then, my interest has slowly waned, to the point where nowadays I only care about a handful of the trainer characters in the franchise instead of the actual Pokemon.

Even during those most hardcore "fan" days, I was primarily a fan of the games. I was already actively hating the anime at that point, and never did get into the manga or the card games. And with my fading interest, there's no way I'm getting into them now - and it's not like the sliding quality of the games has kept me interested in them, either.

Years
    I would consider myself a fan, but not a hardcore fan. I enjoy the new Pokemon Horizons show, play fan games every so often and stay active here. But I have no interest in the TCG or manga, and have been quite underwhelmed with the recent games. I would say I was a hardcore fan from roughly 2016-2022, but after SV came out and I started to take on more IRL responsibilities, I slowly lost interest in the franchise in favor of other things.

Years
    I shamelessly am a hardcore fan, and I have been the majority of my life.

I don't keep up with the modern anime, nor do I play Go. However, Pokemon is the only gaming franchise that has held my interest throughout the years. Aside from that, I have numerous Pokemon plushies, Pokemon cards, and other merchandise. Pokemon is just so fun for me, 90% of the video games I play are Pokemon related. I believe that I will one day become an elderly woman who still regularly plays Pokemon.

Last edited:

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    Yes, though it feels a little embarrassing to say I consider myself one. I try to keep up with the series the best I can whenever things like new games or Pokemon come out, and I'm the person that my friends who aren't into Pokemon come to if they have questions. I'm not as serious as I used to be since I haven't spent nearly as much time playing Gens VIII or IX than I have the previous ones, but I've always considered there to be a huge gap between what I consider being a casual or hardcore fan.

Years
    Probably, though I'm leaning towards yes because I have at least 2 games from each generation (except gens 8 and 9). I got Red and Yellow via VC. All gen 2 games via VC. All gen 3 games physically (minus Colosseum & XD). All gen 4 games physically (minus Soul Silver), all gen 5 games physically, OR & X physically, Sun & Ultra Moon physically, and Violet physically. Been pre-ordering the games and getting them day 1 from heart gold all the way to Ultra moon. I started losing interest by gen 6 as most of the games took me months to finish rather than the first 2 weeks. Ultra moon I did not even finish until last month. By the time Sw/Sh was announced I lost interest as a whole and it wasn't until I after gen 9 released that I decided to go back to the series.

Outside of mainline games I really enjoyed pokemon ranger 1 & 2, and the first mystery dungeon along with its remake.

Back