2nd Gen Mom

Started by VisionofMilotic 2 Weeks Ago 9:44 AM
  • 10 replies

VisionofMilotic

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 8 Minutes Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
In the Johto games you arrange to send a portion of your winnings back to mom, who will save up your pokedollars, and ocassionally go shopping with it, and use some of the money to surprise you with an item.

Did you ever store money at home with mom?

I use this option. I like the idea that I can carry money with me, but have it also kept in another place, and can withdraw money from the mom npc like a bank, when I need it. Sure, you can always save your money on your own while traveling, but if you let your mom save it then it requires less thought, money is just put aside automatically and consistently every time you earn some in a battle, and your savings have a way of adding up fast. I'm often surprised when I travel to see mom, and see how much money has been saved, and it guarantees that even if I overspend I'll always have a reserve to fall back on.

The coolest part though is that mom could find items that help the player like evolutionary stones and potions, berries and other held items that you might not have access to at your current stage in the game, so I thought it was worth leaving money with her to buy these things, even if just for that. The thing that I thought was most fun was when she bought room decor like Pokemon dolls. I loved the dolls for the room, though they served no purpose other than being cute, I like the idea of being able to decorate my space.

What about you? Did you like using this feature in Johto, or do you think it was not that useful?

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163

ZeoStar

Seen 32 Minutes Ago
Posted 38 Minutes Ago
9,140 posts
4.6 Years
I don't use or like this feature. Find myself with a lack of money on hand whenever I have her save it.

Of course, I do miss out on the unique items she buys as a consequence.

Devalue

Any pronoun
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
4,757 posts
1.3 Years
Used and enjoyed it because of the dolls. Appreciated the little bit of customization back in the day. Felt special due to being unable to buy them normally. Likely grew tired of saving after exhausting the guaranteed items. Awarded boring repeat items in Generation 2.
Current Virtual Pokemon Pet: Cradily & Armaldo
Level 100 at 4854 posts
VPP Tag Team with Fairy: Politoed
Level 100 at 4754 posts

Game Journal Thread
Most Recent Entry: Knights of the Old Republic 1
Flying the flag for Portugal in the 2022 PokéCommunity Eurovision Event!

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 25
he/him
Snezhnaya, Teyvat.
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
7,137 posts
13.3 Years
I hated this because she would use the money I saved. So, in future playthroughs, I didn't let her save my money anymore since she shouldn't do that. She never really bought good items anyway, to be honest.
Theme: Mizuki Akiyama
Pair: Taemin
My OCs

Nah

Age 29
she/her, they/them
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
15,257 posts
8.5 Years
I used it back in the day when Gen 2 was new. Never really questioned the feature at the time, so I just went with it. Later in life I stopped using it, I don't need a reserve of cash and her buying something good is rare anyway.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

giradialkia

Age 28
Male
Ireland
Seen 57 Minutes Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
1,632 posts
13.1 Years
Yep, use it every time I play through. It’s funny, I’ve never looked into how much money she takes from you each time, or a full list of items. For GSC I’d like when she buys the Snorlax/Charmander/Pikachu dolls. For HGSS, it’s a good way to access certain berries.
I dunno, it just feels right to finish a battle in a Johto game and see “Sent some to Mom!”.

- - - - - - - - - -

ReKoil

Male
Netherlands
Online now
Posted 2 Minutes Ago
16,193 posts
1.9 Years
I only played the Crystal VC if that counts as gen 2.
I declined. I also declined back in HGSS which was my first Johto experience.

I did not even know she bought stuff with it.
I always decline, because prior to getting fly, fetching money from her is quite an inconvenience and I therefore don't consider it useful.

Trade Shop | My HA pokemon trade sheet. | My Shinies. | My VPP.
Parasect @ Level 100: 16,203 | Emboar @ Lv 100: 16,243

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 36 Minutes Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
Oh man, I forgot this was even a thing!! I remember if you accumulated enough cash, she would buy you different Pokémon dolls to decorate your room with. Freaking adorable - GSC Mom is best Mom.

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
tokyodrift / starwalker / icycatelf / megan / starlight
sister ♥ caite-chan

Sheep

She/Her
Australia
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 15 Hours Ago
36,560 posts
15.6 Years
I did as a kid, yes! Loved the dolls she occasionally bought me and wish we had more use for them, and that a similar feature made its way over to future games. Decorating our room with dolls was cute. But later on when I replayed I disabled the feature since I was trying to zoom past the game and the 'sent some to mom' text made battles ever so slightly longer, lol.

Janp

Age 25
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
4,878 posts
9.1 Years
I always use it, since I never felt like I need that much money. I even forget to withdraw them sometimes at the end of the game.

Putting dolls in my rooms was cool feature. I remember that if you transfer your save to Stadium 2, you can view your room in 3D and see those dolls. But I don't use this feature that much nowadays.