• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★☆ The Incredibly Wandering Thread ☆★ [v5.0]

Years
  • Lord that era was awful.. and I only caught the tail end of it when I was first promoted. Being promoted to staff felt like being a part of an exclusive group where naughty gossip and giggles about members behind closed doors happened. :/ Then there were sub-cliques of members who had high chances of being modded and even further sub-cliques of people desperate to be modded at all costs but not ready yet.

It really divided the whole forum into haves and have-nots imo. I'm so glad that's behind us now. It was the least welcoming environment for new members because the atmosphere was so oppressive that "if you're not staff than you don't matter". Gross.
    welp, looks like it was a good thing after all that i didn't interact around the forums at all when i first made this account. would not have wanted to experience that era of PC. i love the warm presence it is now; it's like the comfort zone of the internet to me. i wouldn't want any high school-like drama to come about here lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    You have no idea how bad I wanted to be a Mod when I was on PE2K back in the day. I was so much younger too. I never really got the chance to be a Mod until PxR came about after PE2K finally died. And even then it wasn't like it use to be. When I became a Mod there it was slowly starting to become less active until I made my way back here and then I've been here ever since. And look at me now...I feel like the adult with powers...lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I didn't even understand the relevance of the welcoming section when I got into PC. Though, I think things were already changing for the better?
    i'd like to believe nothing's changed that much for me? there's always been that dynamic of folks who welcome you via detailed paragraphs, where they talk about/respond to all the points you mentioned in your OP and direct you to where they feel you'd thrive best in the forums, and folks who just go "heya welcome lol". had that same treatment when i first introduced myself to this site 8 years ago, and see that similar pattern when perusing newbie threads today.
    One reason why I'm not around here much. I'm one of these "I don't know what to say" people and just say nothing ^^"
    It's similar to brithday threads: I want to say something but only manage to come up with a simple one liner at best.

Years

• it is what it is! i wasn't exactly a saint myself so i certainly deserved some of it, but it went on a lot longer than i was comfortable with. makes me feel happy that i obliterated 90% of my postcount because i needed to start fresh. @_@

Years
  • One reason why I'm not around here much. I'm one of these "I don't know what to say" people and just say nothing ^^"
    It's similar to brithday threads: I want to say something but only manage to come up with a simple one liner at best.
    ah yeah i can understand that Seliph. don't really know what to reply here myself aside from the fact that i didn't take people like you described into account. so sorry! D:
    it is what it is! i wasn't exactly a saint myself so i certainly deserved some of it, but it went on a lot longer than i was comfortable with. makes me feel happy that i obliterated 90% of my postcount because i needed to start fresh. @_@
    ohh i remember you mentioning that you originally had close to 40k posts at one point. was the prospect of starting over via making a new account not an option for you? or was it complicated because you were already a staff member or something?

Years
  • ohh i remember you mentioning that you originally had close to 40k posts at one point. was the prospect of starting over via making a new account not an option for you? or was it complicated because you were already a staff member or something?

i was under some very intense emotions during that time period for obvious reasons during the beginning of 2018 (it was a dark time on PC), so i made an impulsive decision that i'd resign and leave and wiping all of my posts in the process.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hey, you're not responsible fior the things these people said about you. That's on them.

But still..the troubles of being youth on the early internet. u.u; A lot of us were just beginning to figure things out with ourselves then boom, endless information at your fingertips, plenty of time to kill, and not always the level of articulation or maturity to communicate well enough.

People certainly didn't make it easy for anyone new to the internet back then. I'm glad PC grew up and became an oasis from that.

Years
  • I remember back in the day where it seemed like everyone was in some sort of click and then you had the people who were seemed like they ran the place because they were on Staff. It was almost like you had to be thick skinned to stick around or you wouldn't last long. Unlike now where everyone seems to be a lot more welcoming.

Probably because a lot of said people have grown up! As far as I remember many moons ago the crowd was overall a lot younger so I can imagine it being absolutely wild for new members

Nowadays the section etc is much more streamlined and we have had a nice boom of users that have stuck around, so it's clearly working!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Old times PC was a pretty different world, it's amazing. A race to join the staff, political wars, a spam pit that ended up becoming a place to badmouth other members... I loved and hated the experience, as anyone who was staff in 2014 can attest.

This new version is a breath of fresh air, compared to it.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah some of it was just plain mean spirited. :( It's okay to feel frustrated about things going in the forum but it was taken too far against users who were truly, albeit annoying and young, harmless at the end of the day. Rabinov is right, growing up was a major part of PC becoming what it is today.

Plus PC just feels like much less of a popularity contest. We've got a great Mod Lead and Admin team who really look out for the best interest of the forums and will promote the best person for a job. And the boots on the ground moderators are some of the most cohesive, organized, and generous people I know!
    Except me. All I can do is a magic trick where I disappear for months at a time. ᕕ(╯°□°)ᕗ

Years
  • One reason why I'm not around here much. I'm one of these "I don't know what to say" people and just say nothing ^^"

ah yeah i can understand that Seliph. don't really know what to reply here myself aside from the fact that i didn't take people like you described into account. so sorry! D:

I'm with Seliph on this one. I love seeing all the long elaborate welcomes you guys come up with, seriously, I am in complete awe! 😊

I have tried so, so, hard to do that, but my brain is just not wired that way, and I never know what to say. There has been so many times when I have had a new member's thread open, sometimes before there's been a single reply, and I really wanna say hello and welcome them (just done it rn actually). Then I remember all the comments I see about one line welcomes being, well, unwelcome, and I just close the thread and go off to sulk in another part of the forum, so the new peep doesn't even get a hello from me. It breaks my heart.

As for PC of old. There's a few good reasons my account didn't have many posts for a very long time but we're all here now, let's make the best of it while the goings good! 😊 ❤

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah, it can be tough to find the right things to say to new members, but honestly, after having done this for so long - a little goes a long way. People just like to be acknowledged, heard, asked questions, and given a bit of guidance. :)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    welcoming is just a second nature at this point, though sometimes i still struggle with what to say.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I gotta say there are few things more rewarding than seeing new members welcome other new members. :')

Bay

Years
  • okay this thread has been in meet & greet long enough let's go to writer's lounge

written anything cool lately?

I've been writing a short Fire Emblem Three Houses fic for a fic exchange! I'm actually almost done, just one more scene left. Other that that, my writing motivation has been draining lately due to real life stress and being rejected in a couple fanzines. =< I think this short fic is slowly getting me back to writing, though.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I just started a thread about writing silly haikus! I have no idea how to write them in a meaningful or deep way but it's just meant to be fun. :)

Back