• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★☆ The Incredibly Wandering Thread ☆★ [v5.0]

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh sweet! Maybe the mods wanna merge them or something? Either way, more fun writing! (´∀`)♡

Years
  • I'm always working on something. Right now I'm in a bunch of really fun RPs going, I'm working on several comic projects and I'm slowly working on my fic here too.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm not really a writer at heart, but I love to read and I so so so so admire anyone who has that kind of talent. Like, I compare it to my art a lot and I think, "well this is just coming from my hand" whereas writing - in my eyes - comes from a much deeper place, you know?

Am I the only one who thinks this? lol

Years
  • I'm not really a writer at heart, but I love to read and I so so so so admire anyone who has that kind of talent. Like, I compare it to my art a lot and I think, "well this is just coming from my hand" whereas writing - in my eyes - comes from a much deeper place, you know?

Am I the only one who thinks this? lol

A lot of writers feel that way about artists. Personally, I think most artistic mediums hold equal weight.

Bay

Years
  • Yeah to be honest some days I'm like I wish I can do art. I know some people that can do both, and I'm like I wish I have talent on both (I don't consider myself talented in writing in any way lol).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • It would be nice to be able to do either at a level I felt was worth putting my actual name on.

I do often wish I could art though, as it's something I've tried to do many times in the past with little to no success. I think the hardest I ever pushed to grow as an artist was around middle school, when I was recreating the cover of "The last battle" from chronicles of narnia for a book report. My copy of the book had a unicorn on the front with a bloody horn and I think I spent more time trying to get that one picture to a level I was happy with turning in than I did actually reading the book and writing the report on it haha. It was around that time that I realized, even my best work when I was really trying was nothing compared to that of my peers who were already doing commissions and designs for other students and teachers.

There's just a really big disconnect for me between seeing something in my head and putting it onto paper, even if it's crappy. I find it much easier to describe with words, and find it really inspiring when I watch artists just... being able to imagine something and actually put it on paper/tablet. It's really hard for me to grasp the idea of having something so vividly appear in your mind that you can work on it over the span of days or even weeks and come out at the end with it even vaguely resembling your initial concept. I struggle with that in writing a lot, and more often than not when I have ideas like that which I know I want to make a certain way I'll just make a list of details about its shape and how or what it do be or do not be... and even then I will struggle to maintain consistency from start to finish.

Years
  • I organized a fanfic competition for a local Gothic (games, not style) community and wrote a short satirical fanfic myself in December, but have no motivation do write anything since then.

Years
  • I really miss writing, but it's been so hard for me to get back into it. I usually write stuff involving OCs in a canon universe and it's always a lot of fun when I get in the groove. But lately I've been participating less in my creative hobbies (art, writing) than usual. Creative block sucks D:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah to be honest some days I'm like I wish I can do art. I know some people that can do both, and I'm like I wish I have talent on both (I don't consider myself talented in writing in any way lol).

I know right? It's like share some talent with the rest of us you can't have all of it lol.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • We're talking about art and writing, uh? Well... after years spent drawing nothing more than just maps, diagrams of forces, and chemical compounds, trying to draw people has been a blessing when it comes to visualize my characters and find some inspiration to get back on track with my writing. And that's kinda why I'd love to be at least competent at both writing and art - it would probably turn into a virtuous cycle, you know? But I'm not quite there yet, and it's alright... :fufu:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    It wasn't until this past week that I really got back on track with writing. I mean, actually progressing on it. I don't really consider myself too good on it most of the time, but I have my fun :femme2:

As for art, I can just draw faces. It kinda works with writing in a way that I don't have to rely 100% on picrews for face claims and kinda helps visualize some expressions or characteristics that I didn't know they had or just don't get to really put on some text. It's a good way to explore how ur characters look like.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    aw, i like knowing that PCers are getting into the writing spirit! i should really try it sometime.. i mostly just write ironically and never put any effort into it cause i think i'll suck -- but if it's just for fun then what's the harm?

Years
  • aw, i like knowing that PCers are getting into the writing spirit! i should really try it sometime.. i mostly just write ironically and never put any effort into it cause i think i'll suck -- but if it's just for fun then what's the harm?

The more you do it, the better you'll get. Just like with drawing. You have to start somewhere, so give it a try.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    aw, i like knowing that PCers are getting into the writing spirit! i should really try it sometime.. i mostly just write ironically and never put any effort into it cause i think i'll suck -- but if it's just for fun then what's the harm?
    Sounds like you're a perfect fit for forum RPing ;) While your posts last and can be re-read much later, it's not necessarily a super serious work of art where you have to perform the very best. You just build a story with your characters and enjoy the ride together~

Years
  • Let's boop this over to here since we were just talking about writing vs art.

Do any of you guys do both? Maybe you incorporate stories into your artwork?

Years
  • ooh nice to see this here. i was just about to leave after posting in the Derpmon Dex but i guess i'll say hello here too~

i used to be an avid comics maker, something that i believe perfectly blends story writing with art. my plots were subpar, but people often commented how impressed they were that i draw stuff really fast. i could draw up an entire 30-40 page comic book a la Archie Comics style within a day no biggie in my youth. however, i didn't bother pursuing it as something to make a career out of or anything, since i figured i was gonna hate it overtime if i was doing it for money. in the end i was right. i now no longer open up any Adobe app for anything recreational anymore, since seeing the Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and Indesign interface always reminds me of work, and how tiring it can get. i'm glad that i kept drawing away from those kinds of associations.

the recent games i've participated in on this section has inspired me to save up for a cheap little drawing tablet to mess around with digital art. i've been wanting to redo those comic books i used to do in a more adult manner anyway, so i figured what a better time to start than now? big shoutout to Chura/Kitty for them threads! you're awesome~

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • I really need to build up the courage to start writing. I love drawing, specially designing characters and worlds. I'm quite good at worldbuilding and pretty much every one of my characters are filled with backstory and narrative elements in their looks, but I need tons more practice on actual writing.

I had a friend who would write stories for my characters, but he had to drop out of college due to personal reasons and we haven't really had the chance to work together since then. The guy was brilliant.

Years
  • uwu thank u guys ill work on more threads in a bit fhdjdk (and hey if you liked those you're gonna love whats planned in the near future)

Re: stories into fanwork i almost always exclusively do that hahaha, I'm in the process of making my own fangame and just seeing them drawn out feels betters than just having them in words. Considering I'm a more visual person than anything too.

Years
  • I do and ❤ Drawing, writing Poetry, making Animations, make GFX artwork and other crafts.
    I'll post my artwork on here sometime soon in my own gallery section.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I did a bunch of manga style/traditional art things back in school. I ended up stopping because of life happening and only occasionally played around with pixel art. A couple years ago I figured I might as well get back into it. I think I've improved just a little bit. It still took me until last year to finally get stuff to show online by opening up a gallery on here. That didn't really garner any traction which really felt like a let down, tbh. <_<

At the end of last year I slowly started looking into using references more (finding good ones is still annoying, tho). And while last year have done mostly traditional art, this year so far has been more about pixel art (though, I'm currently in a sort of art slump that I haven't found a way out of, yet). Though, I still want to see if I can do some regular digital art. The thing that really makes this hard for me is finding a good drawing app which isn't made easier because I'm running a Linux machine which pretty much limits my options to Gimp and Krita. Gimp is really annoying with its tablet support, however. So while it's the one I have the most experience with, it's also the one I don't want to use. ^^"
    Krita I still need to find a good setup for. Also, only having a laptop with a very small screen doesn't help. So, I might at some point get an actual machine just so I can have an easier time doing some drawing.

Most of my stuff is OC stuff. It does not include writing per se. However, since I still spend some time worldbuilding I end up taking notes of different world aspects, anyway. In that regard: yes I do some writing, but no, it's less about art and more about pinning down concepts that I may or may not realize at some point.

Back