• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a favorite Gym Leader?

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    Hi everyone. I guess I'm just a weird toss up between Erika and Sabrina. Those have always been my favorite Gym Leaders depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I like Misty as well but she's more of the tomboy type so I gravitate more towards the other two.
    Anyway, I just said who my favorite is from the Kanto region. If anyone has any favorite from Kanto all the way to Paldea who is it?

Years
  • Ilima and Cilan! Loved them the moment I saw them, Cilan especially was so exciting for me to see in the anime when Unova was just coming out. Butler boys are cute. Out of the girls, easily Winona and Jasmine. <3 Jasmine is so similar to me!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • My overall favorite would be between Morty and Sabrina, probably. I always thought Morty looked cool (especially his GSC sprite) and Sabrina's the most attractive of the lot IMO (particularly in the anime and FRLG official art).

By region:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • *whispers* It's still Koga.

Seriously, though, I might have been hard on him lately, but there's no one quite like him. He may represent an idealized version of the past, but he's that committed to the ninja bit along with his daughter and that's worthy of my adoration. He's also crazy hot, especially in LGPE!

As for other favourites, I can count Jasmine, Wallace, Byron, Crasher Wake, Drayden, Clemont, (Captain) Acerola, (Kahuna) Nanu, Allister, Kabu, Piers and (Warden) Ingo. I've pretty much come to terms with my bias for eccentrics and older men, haha.

EDIT: After the release of S/V, I can confidently say my favourite Paldea Leader is Ryme! I had a feeling I was gonna find her cool and I'm glad I called it. I had dibs on Brassius, Grusha and Iono too, but sadly they turned out... less likeable than I expected. In fact... I can also confidently say Ryme is the only Paldean Leader I remotely like, because none of the others got on my good graces.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kanto: Sabrina
    Johto: Jasmine
    Hoenn: Flannery
    Sinnoh: Candice
    Unova: Toss up between Brycen & Skyla
    Kalos: Olympia
    Alola: Kahuna Olivia
    Galar: Melony

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Holds no strong feelings towards most of them. Barely knows anything about them.

Kanto: Sabrina, probably because of the anime.
    Johto: Falkner?
    Hoenn: Flannery
    Sinnoh: Volkner or Candice
    Unova: Elesa
    Kalos: Viola
    Alola: ...None of the Kahunas. With Trial Captains, Lana.
    Galar: Piers. (Might have liked Allister. Played Sword, though.)

For an overall favorite, Piers or Sabrina.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Hi everyone. I guess I'm just a weird toss up between Erika and Sabrina. Those have always been my favorite Gym Leaders depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I like Misty as well but she's more of the tomboy type so I gravitate more towards the other two.
    Anyway, I just said who my favorite is from the Kanto region. If anyone has any favorite from Kanto all the way to Paldea who is it?

You know, I never thought of this until you asked it, WaterLily. Great question!

Kanto: In the earlier games, my favorite gym leader was definitely Giovanni because he proved that he could work as both a gym leader and the boss of Team Rocket, which is impressive. He is also a great villain. My other favorite in the later games is Blue because he was the first rival, has an arrogant personality, is strong, and actually has a team that isn't based on a single type, which made him much more fun to battle.

Johto: I didn't really care too much for the Johto gym leaders, but I did like Clair. She had strong Dragon-type Pokémon and she was probably the saltiest, biggest sore loser in Pokémon NPC history. While I wasn't a big fan of her personality, she is my favorite because she offered the most challenge compared to the others. I'm sorry, but as a player that always kept a Fighting-type Pokémon on my team, Whitney was never difficult for me at all.

Hoenn: I liked Norman the best simply because he was your daddy. He seems to be the only father in the Pokémon world that isn't paying child support. I love that.

Sinnoh: Again, I never really cared for Sinnoh gym leaders, but Fantina stood out to me the most because she used one of my all-time favorite Pokémon, Mismagius.

Unova: I don't know where to begin. I loved almost all the gym leaders in this generation. I guess you can say my favorite was Iris because she seemed to be the most involved in your story. However, what I like about these gym leaders is that they don't just sit around in their gyms all day after you defeat them. They actually played a big part in the story and help you out, which is great. In the sequel where Iris becomes champion, I liked Marlon a lot. He was so laid back and chill, just like me. Much love to them all; much love to Unova.

Kalos: Perhaps the most boring set of gym leaders in the whole series, but Korrina was the one that stood out for me the most because she ended up giving me a Lucario early in the game. How can you beat that?

Alola: While I am aware that they didn't have gyms and were Trial Captains and Kakunas, my favorite was perhaps Olivia. I loved her style and personality. I don't that he wasn't an official Trial Captain, but I liked Guzma a lot too. The instance where you storm Po Town and challenge Guzma did feel like it's own Bug-type trial and did result in you getting the Bug-type Z-Crystal. Acerola was cute. Much love to them all; much love to Alola.

Galar: Here is another game where gym leaders do more than stand in their gyms all day. I actually loved a lot of these characters. All of them had a certain charm to me. I liked Nessa a lot because of her attitude, but Milo was also a very nice guy. Rahian was super cool too and Bea was tough had some spunk about her. It's hard to choose. Nonetheless, I might choose Nessa over them all though.

Giovanni/Blue
    Clair
    Norman
    Fantina
    Iris/Marlon
    Korrina
    Olivia
    Nessa

Years
  • man, this thread really got me thinking that, aside from sabrina and nessa, there really haven't been many gym leaders that stood out a ton to me. :c those two are definitely my favourites above all lol

that said, swsh gym leaders are probably one of the better ones out of all the regions and yes this is a hot take i'll stand by

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I love a lot of gym leaders. I think... Sabrina, Bugsy, Gardenia, Flannery, and Allister are my favorites? Something like that? It's hard to choose!

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Going by regions...

Kanto: Erika I guess?
    Johto: Clair I guess? (Haven't played through Kanto or Johto yet)
    Hoenn: Winona
    Sinnoh: Crasher Wake
    Unova: Elesa (BW2)
    Kalos: Valerie
    Alola: Acerola
    Galar: Piers
    Paldea: Iono

My favorite is easily Piers. He's the first Dark type gym leader, has a unique badass theme, and he's hot. there, I said it.

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
  • Loved Opal's battle. Very different from the others, with the quiz thingy. She's also real funi

DT Valentina

Dragon Trainer in Training
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Dec 8, 2022
    Kanto: Koga
    Johto: Clair
    Hoenn: Winona
    Sinnoh: Crasher Wake
    Unova: Drayden
    Galar: Raihan
    Paldea: Larry

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Kanto: Misty <3 especially the gen2 version
    Johto: i always liked Falkner, even moreso his manga version
    Hoenn: Norman was so refreshing because he was actually your dad

i don't remember gym leaders very well past gen 3 tbh.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Kanto: Erika/Sabrina
    Johto: Jasmine
    Hoenn: Wallace
    Sinnoh: Fantina
    Unova: Elesa
    Alola: Kiawe
    Galar: Raihan
    Paldea: Grusha/Tulip

Overall, my absolute favourites are Elesa, Grusha, Tulip, and Fantina! <3 They all have fabulous designs, and colourful personalities! I also quite like the Pokémon they utilize as well!

Years
  • I've always been a fan of Elesa and Skyla from BW since I played the games for the first time. It's hard to say why that started, maybe it really is because I thought they were hot but I dunno. Skyla is fun and is given some characterization in Celestial Tower and I love the way that Elesa, being a model, owns the fact that she's attractive, has two of my favorite gym leader designs, and is one of what I think is the most fun gym leader battle in Black and White. I don't remember when I started shipping them but I like to think sometime after the events of BW2 they got married.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    wait I have a new fav because of extreme relatability:

larry

Give the man a vacation (and me, I can relate, see?).

Back