• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dressing Up

Years
    • Seen today
    Simple question. Do you prefer dressing nicely or dressing up casually?

For some reason, when I have a class, I prefer to dress nicely. However outside of school related things I don't like dressing up and will toss on the most casual outfit possible. (unless life requires i don't).

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    I absolutely love dressing up! I'm keen on fashion and expressing myself, my femininity, through my outfits. Wearing beautiful clothes gives me far more confidence, and people are more willing to take me seriously and treat me respectfully when I dress well - I suppose because it makes me look more classy and rich. I'm very selective with the clothes I buy, since I rarely am able to afford clothes shopping. I pick quality, classy items that make me stand out and look well put-together, rather than cheap casual clothes in bulk.

Even at home I prefer looking nice because it boosts my mood throughout the day, although I can't really do that, I'd ruin my nice clothes doing chores and caring for animals, haha. I will if we have guests over, however.

As a young lady, I find the way I dress can have a great power over people, especially men. Now that makes me sound rather manipulative... but it's true - when I dress nice, people are kinder to me, more eager to please, it just makes life so much easier when you use your appearance to your advantage (especially as a woman). If I want to feel really powerful, I'll dress a little more sexy, though to feel truly sexy I do it for myself and not for others - countless men cannot resist that (again I sound manipulative, but I was always taught by the women in my family to own that power, because it makes such a tremendous difference, believe me).

For most of my life, I was sort of forced into wearing clothes I hated. Hand-me downs from my brothers mostly, with stiff T-shirts that were too big, and baggy sweatpants... oh how I despise sweatpants. I just cannot pull off that casual urban look. Nowadays you will never ever catch me in sweatpants and thick baggy tops, haha. Mind you, I'm not opposed to trying lots of different styles - I could happily go from refined and elegant, to punkish, or gothic, or chic-casual, or bright and youthful, or bohemian, all the way to wearing super lavish cocktail dresses for everyday occasions. For now, though, I can't afford any of that! So my wardrobe remains "budget-style" feminine and elegant. I especially love a more vintage aesthetic. Women in the 50s and such really knew how to dress to flatter their figures, it makes me wonder what happened, ahaha. You can't even find dresses like that anymore, outside of costume shops or tailors. It's such a shame. I think I'd look my best in 50s style swing dresses.

This became a bit of a tangent. I love the topic!

Last edited:
    Years
    I never dress up unless it's something like a wedding or a funeral.
    You will not catch me in anything but comfy daily clothes on except in those situations.

I care very little about what clothing one wears. My only concern is if it's comfortable ^.^

Years
    I definitely dressed very nicely at one point, when I hyperfixated about men's fashion for a year lol. Just sad that a lot of the "dressing up" styles I want are only suitable for colder climates (turtle neck sweaters, three piece suits, dark academia, etc.) I easily get bored of summer fashion or dressing down super casual (just a plain tee and shorts), but I have to don that else I die of a heat stroke lmao.

Years
    I dress neatly, but I wouldn't call it dressing up? I don't really go to anything formal enough!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I like dressing nicely, it is fun! But up to the start of university I never took an interest at all in fashion so I was just wearing whatever regardless of how it looked. I started watching a ton of fashion videos over lockdown and started finding it interesting how people put outfits together. I'm not sure how to describe my style but I like more elegant outfits. I also liked how people use jewellery so now I try to wear it whenever I can. That being said I do dress way more casually at home or if I'm just running errands. Nowadays I enjoy clothes shopping a lot more which is good for me, since my friends love it. :D

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Casual. Dresses up to stand out less. Grates to do so. Views it as one more layer to add to the social mask. Expends a lot of energy maintaining it as-is.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    It depends. I like dressing neatly, but only if I can find a comfortable fit. Otherwise, I just put on whatever feels best to wear according to my mood.

Years
    As a young lady, I find the way I dress can have a great power over people, especially men. Now that makes me sound rather manipulative... but it's true - when I dress nice, people are kinder to me, more eager to please, it just makes life so much easier when you use your appearance to your advantage (especially as a woman). If I want to feel really powerful, I'll dress a little more sexy, though to feel truly sexy I do it for myself and not for others - countless men cannot resist that (again I sound manipulative, but I was always taught by the women in my family to own that power, because it makes such a tremendous difference, believe me).

this... I won't lie was really unexepected! Unsure how I feel about this but I think that's a conversation for another thread/time.

Love dressing up as a whole, it's probably one of the main reasons I love wedding so much! As much as it's nice to be able to wake up and be ready in 5 minutes, it's always nicer to be chucking something smart-casual/formal on. I also just like the whole matching everything up, getting the accessories and such right, the little things really do count!

Years
    I've spent a lot of time dressed formally, so I'm perfectly content dressing like that if I have to. But I'd be lying if I said it's my preference. Even though I definitely look better dressed well, I prefer to be as comfortable as possible and the way my life currently is I don't have much reason to go the extra mile at the expense of that, so I don't.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    this... I won't lie was really unexepected! Unsure how I feel about this but I think that's a conversation for another thread/time.

Love dressing up as a whole, it's probably one of the main reasons I love wedding so much! As much as it's nice to be able to wake up and be ready in 5 minutes, it's always nicer to be chucking something smart-casual/formal on. I also just like the whole matching everything up, getting the accessories and such right, the little things really do count!

It sounds questionable the way I put it! I won't deny that, but it's not so much... planned, or even purposeful, there's no scheming involved haha (I'm too self-effacing for that kind of attention), it's more a steady realisation of the positive and very noticeable change my appearance makes to how others treat me. Like, it paves the road ahead for me rather than fill it with obstacles (I was extremely dowdy and plain up until about 19, it practically made me invisible!). But then, I live in a pretty bad community, sadly... People don't accept you on your merit here, they don't care how kind you are, it's all about keeping up appearances, a hub for the "beautiful people". You wouldn't expect that in South West Australia! I just know that when I finally make my debut in the world, I want to feel beautiful and glamorous like the old stars I admire, haha

Funnily enough, I think if I had been forced to wear nice clothes all the time, I'd be the opposite way and insist on wearing my comfies!

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
    I normally wear casual things but I don't enjoy it all too much. I feel generic and kinda boring. I'd prefer to stand out more, even though I don't really care for attention. The style I want to have is more of an "alt" style I guess? There are 2 sides of alternate fashion I prefer: the dark gothic side and the bright rainbow side. Ironic. Is it possible to do both?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'm really casual now. I don't like my appearance, which makes trying on clothes an absolute nightmare (well, I like my hair for about the 5% of my day it looks how I want it - not good at styling it with wax etc.) I dressed reasonably "preppy" towards the end of my school days, a lot of chinos and polo shirts. But by the end of my first year as a student it was jeans and a tee most of the time, with either a jacket or hoody. Then I decided I really like to spend as much time as possible in shorts for the last couple of years. I mostly leave them for summer now though. Quite a few football shirts from around the world too.

I've always had menial jobs - shops, restaurants etc. so I only get to wear my own clothes in the evening - when I'm all gross - or weekends, where my most adventurous activity is the cinema so never really need to dress up!

That said, I have enjoyed getting to wear a suit (at least until I got chubby), I just can't hack the top button being done which can ruin it slightly.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm a solid mix of both! I love getting all out together for a fun evening, but I'm not above throwing on some yoga pants and a hoodie to go shopping lol.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I dress however I want. Even if the colors don't match. I'm a fashion disaster that the world must fear.

...But, honestly, casually is how I dress.

Back