• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feelings about "Liked" Posts.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think I've seen this topic, so I'm wondering what the feelings are here towards when your post gets a like. (Specifically referring to here on Pokecommunity).

Is it happy, or something you feel indifferent about? You usually get a notification (Unless you turn it off, I believe there's an option but maybe I'm wrong).

For me when I see the notification it makes me feel like "Oh wow! The post must of contributed in a meaningful way".

But there's also different feelings. I think with the photo thread it turns negative for me. It's like a feeling of anxiety similar to mainstream social media platforms. If the post is ignored feelings turn very negative, which led to me wanting to avoid the main public photo thread on this sub forum.

pkmin3033

Honestly I've never really thought about it...I very rarely give likes, and I don't receive them all that often either. It seems like a feature that was brought in just to have it rather than one people actively use...or maybe I just don't post in the places where it gets used a lot it very often? I guess I don't think about it too often because I am already insecure about people not liking me and do not need to worry about the number of likes I may or may not get on my posts to reinforce that, haha.

I guess in my mind it translates to "I really don't like Dawn, but I have to admit that I like their post!" or something similar.

Years
  • For me it's a brief mild sense of "I'm glad they enjoyed that/I feel validated" and then I don't think about it again.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I tend to give likes if I agree with something, you're a friend, or I read your post and don't feel like replying (asociality problems, lmao).

As for getting likes, I don't really mind one way or the other. I used to relate my self-worth too much with likes on my art and writing, but I've since realized that it doesn't mean much, so I've become indifferent to getting likes. I prefer discussions and comments over likes, whether positive or negative.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I never really think about getting likes. It's nice when people do, though. I try to give likes every once in awhile, but oftentimes, I forget to press the button, lmfao.

Years
  • I don't mind getting likes from people and I don't expect people to do so, but I'm not one to complain about it, if someone wants to like a comment of mine they can if they want too.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I tend to give likes if I agree with something, you're a friend, or I read your post and don't feel like replying (asociality problems, lmao).
    Haha, same here. I wasn't going to reply, but here I am :P
    Like gimmepie, I too feel validated.

Years
  • Curiosity would perhaps best describe my sentiments. Often when I see notifications that a comment I made received a like it surprises me a little-- what I said evidently had more impact with others than I expected. The like option is cute, especially if it's something you posted quickly and forgot about writing. I feel intrigued to return the next day and see there are 4 likes that weren't there before. I like that we have the ability to thumb up someone else's comment. At the end of the day though, I don't make comments just because I l'm hoping to have a thumbs up. I post because I want to join the conversation, share my ideas, leave an honest opinion, maybe help someone if they have a question, and simply socialize. Thumbs up is a bonus, but I would say the same thing even if I get no comment or if people could reply with a thumbs down. Just being able to be heard is enough for me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Back in my day we had a thing called "post comments" (I'm not sure if those still exist!), where a user would send you a short private comment that is ONLY viewable to you regarding a post you made. Those were pretty useful, it's like someone lowkey said "hey your post was cool just sayin'".

I thought those were way better than likes. Here I am wondering "ok so you liked my post...WHY?"

Normally for me, I usually like a post then a quote response on said post on why I liked it. Not just for PC but it also applies to social media too. I like to give my reasoning behind the like.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Superficial. As long as it's not breaking the rules or hurting someone's feelings, just say what you want to say and don't think about if people will like it or not. I don't care about likes on my own posts, but if I see someone put in a lot of work on a post then I will like it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • i used to get quite excited about it when the feature just came out! but nowadays i'm more relaxed, i've already gotten over 5,500+ likes so it's plenty of recognition already haha. definitely a nice feeling though <3

Years
  • For me, It's about who likes my posts rather than the amount. There's just certain individuals who I have respect for, their ability to articulate certain topics, so being in agreement with them brightens up my day.

I mean, I will never say something simply for the sake of others and what they may approve of, but it is nice when there's a mutual understanding between anyone who shares your perception.

I use to rely HEAVILY on likes when it came to pictures though, lol. I couldn't find myself remotely attractive in any aspect until I was nearly 28 years old then I finally grew comfortable with myself so I can uploads photos without worrying so much about likes and such. It's nice or what not and I can get a little down but I'm no longer in the detrimental/depressive state I was in 4-5 years ago.

I found out years later that some people can like what you post without actually liking it.

I've had people come tell me they've enjoyed reading my posts, people who never liked them lol. It was really surprising but it made me happy that even one person can hear me out. :p

Years
  • Took me until 2019 to realize there even was a Like button lmao I don't really pay attention.

But yeah, dopamine kicks in for like 3 seconds when I see my post gets 2+ likes, then I forget all about it.

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I assume people who 'like' my posts agree with what I said or like it/appreciate it in some way. I don't think they are more significant than that, though. So if posts don't get likes that's fine, but it's still nice when they are.

And when I like someone's posts it's usually for the same reason. So it's more about what the person said than necessarily the person themselves.

Last edited:

Josef

Currently playing Let's Go Pikachu
    Years
  • seems like an attempt to mock contemporary social media.

i think it's meaningful if someone responds to your comment, or if they send you a PM. "likes" are a zero-effort form of communication, but i do admit they give you a rush of being noticed.

Back