• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you used to dislike, but like now

Years
    • Seen today
    I didn't like Salamence, now it's one of my favorite dragons.

I'm indifferent towards more pokemon than outright disliking them.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Ohhh, that's quite a difficult question. I've had many more Pokémon go the other way - from like to indifference or outright dislike - but not many that grew on me after I initially disliked them.

I think the first might have been Sigilyph. I thought it was kind of strange when B/W came out, and never bothered using one. Then in like a breeze came Sabin, from the Pokémon RéBURST manga, who could fuse with a Sigilyph to become a Kamen Rider-like warrior, and suddenly I fell in love - not just with the man himself, but also with the weird bird baby. Fast forward to me playing Black 2 and Y the following year, finding out that Sigilyph was not only useful in battle, but also extremely adorable, and the rest is history. ;u;

I'd say I wasn't too fond of the Hisuian Sneasel line at first either, due to their odd color scheme. Then I realized Sneasel is still essentially Sneasel, saw all the fanart of the ride Sneasler with her charming Warden, and the line grew on me to the point I now consider them my second-favourite Hisuian forms after Typhlosion. I suppose I could also count Gyarados, but that was more a case of pretending I hated it because one of my friends at the time hated it. In fact, in my first Pokémon playthrough (LGP) after I broke away from said friend, I used Gyarados in my main team and later hunted for a shiny Magikarp so I could have a non-Johto game red Gyarados - who is currently one of the shinies I hold closest to my heart. :D

Years
    Used to join in on the "Zubat is annoying" train, til I discovered just how incredible its final evo is~

Years
    There are easily a couple dozen that went from 'idc' to 'I like it'.
    From dislike to like though? Pheromosa and Primarina are the only ones that come to mind atm.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I used to dislike Eelektrik (like bottom 25 disklike), but I've come to appreciate it since finding my first lamprey last year. It's still not among my top favorites, but I did put one on my TrainerSona's team!

I also used to dislike Zangoose, but now I think it's pretty cool. Probably has something to do with the Shiny one I found a few years ago. I also used to find the Burmy line weird/ugly/forgettable, but now I adore Mothim. I even have a bit of a soft spot for Burmy, though I still think it's a little weirdo. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    - Wigglytuff. Liked worse Pokemon as time passed. Garnered less personal notice as time went on. (May notice a pattern here.) Also originally looked like this, in fairness:

- Pikachu. Watched the anime when younger. Saw Pikachu far too much between that, Yellow, Hey You Pikachu, the Pocket Pikachu, and so on. Appreciated it more with some distance.

- Hitmonchan. Tends not to like human-like Pokemon. Held true initially. Grew a bit attached while sending out unusual Pokemon for Wonder Trade. Wanted to see how Assault Vest + Drain Punch fared in a playthrough.

Received a further boost from a Radical Red playthrough. Chose Pokemon of personal interest, but little recent use. Included Hitmonchan. Performed reasonably well between Iron Fist, Fake Out, Mach Punch, and Power-up Punch. Knocked out the Champion's final Pokemon with Mach Punch at 9/250 hitpoints as the last one standing.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Most recently I'd say Cinderace. I liked Scorbunny, still think Raboot sucks, but I just love the animation for Pyro Ball (particularly as mine is a Spanish one with Libero which fits the kit its wearing. If I could nickname it "Pichichi" I would!)

Lickitung and Lickilicky - although I've only ever used it once - comes to mind too. The DPPt chapter of PokéSpe made them (and slow pokémon in general) grow on me. Which then led to my current obsession with Slowpoke!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Great question!

I used to not like Ditto at all. In the past generations, I used to believe that Ditto sucked and was only useful for breeding, mainly because of its terrible stats and only move being Transform, a move that Ditto never had the chance to use more than half the time for being too slow. However, once generation 5 arrived, which is still my favorite generation until this day, Ditto obtained its hidden ability, Imposter, which allows it to transform into the opposing Pokémon instantly without requiring the use of the move Transform. This turned Ditto into arguably the best revenge killer in Pokémon history and ever since I added it to my team, I barely lost many (ranked) battles. Now, my Ditto is enjoying the great life of being a baby maker and a champion. Kudos to Ditto!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Alolan Raichu. My shame is.. immense. At first I just felt like.. why? And then I just felt like it was nostalgia bait for Surfing Pikachu. And idk it look a while before it really warmed up to me. Honestly now I adore it! Another one I didn't like at first was the Jumpluff line.. but honestly now I think those little bouncy bois are precious! Lastly, Scolipede. I dunno if it's just cause I got over my general icky feelings about bugs but Scolipede legitimately has a great design, imo.

pkmin3033

Linoone and Watchog. Yes, really. I recently ran through Emerald and White respectively using only those two, and they were actually pretty fun to use. More enjoyable than the HeartGold Furret and Platinum Bibarel runs that I did as part of the same challenge, and I massively prefer Gen IV over both Gens III and V. I've always pegged the early route rodents as useless and ugly - and I'm never going to defend Gumshoos or Greedent even if they turn out to be even more enjoyable to use, haha - but they were far from useless, and that was a nice surprise for me. Still wouldn't be my first choice as party members, and far from my favourite designs, but for the experience they gave me in games I honestly don't like very much, my perspective on them has...softened. Just a tad.

Incineroar is another one. It kinda grew on me. I don't generally like quadrupeds turning into bipeds, but Incineroar is a better design than Decidueye or Primarina, and Fire/Dark is a pretty cool combination. Plus...it's Tony the Tiger. It's grrrreat.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    This fuckface with the weird to spell name over here

no particular reason, not even related to the RP my char has one in, I just started thinking it looked pretty nice for some reason, probably just the really dumb design choice that was creating this entire line to begin with, and I'm a sucker for those. It's shiny is also pretty cool imo, makes it look like an unpolished gold gear and a bit rusty, which I think is neat.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Didn't like it because I allways saw it as a Butterfree copy... and well, it is.

However, while starting my SP playthrough, I had a plan for Lucian (I knew he leads with Mr. Mime): I wanted a Bug/Flying to Quiver Dance while he raised his walls, then Defog the walls and start sweeping.

Mothim came to my mind for this strategy first, however as someone who had played Platinum but never the original D/P, I realized there was a problem: finding Burmy in BDSP is unnecessarily complicated, and to make things worse I needed a male Burmy specificaly.

So, since Beautifly and Mothim have very similar stats, and both were good for what I needed, but Wurmple is extremely easy to find early on, I decided to give it a chance instead. So Beautifly grew on my during that playthrough.

Years
    i did not like dracovish much but i feel like the more i see images from it from the anime the more i kinda grew to like it lol. i haven't actually seen any eps with it but it seems like the goofy, happy type contrary to its in-game dex entry which is all like IT'S SUFFERING IF ITS NOT IN WATER AT ALL TIMES so u__u

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    i did not like dracovish much but i feel like the more i see images from it from the anime the more i kinda grew to like it lol. i haven't actually seen any eps with it but it seems like the goofy, happy type contrary to its in-game dex entry which is all like IT'S SUFFERING IF ITS NOT IN WATER AT ALL TIMES so u__u

Same here! I knew what they were going for, and I thought the Galarian fossils were awful specifically because what they were meant to represent, but later on I found them charming for that exact reason. Dracovish is definitely my favorite of them because of just how confusing its body plan is, and I like a Pokémon that keeps me thinking about it.

I've also grown to like Illumise because of Mystery Dungeon DX. Long story short, I recruited one in Wish Cave, and it kept healing my entire team with Moonlight for free, which is especially great because it doesn't use up any PP. If you find a Pokémon like Illumise or Miltank in a level 1 dungeon, it kinda carries.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2022
    Nosepass. As a kid I used to call it by a pretty crude name that's a mix of Nosepass and a rude word for excrement in my native language, but nowadays I find its design oddly endearing.

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
    What are some Pokemon you didn't like, but then grew to appreciate later?

For me, one of them was Volcarona. I always found it to be pretty good, but it had a few flaws i could point out. Being 4x weak to Rock and Stealth Rocks hindering its progress was one of them. But then i actually used it. I ended up loving the Fire/Bug coverage it gave me. The movepool it had wasn't the greatest, but i loved the precise range of coverage it offered, with Giga Drain and Psychic. Now i'm using it on my Blaze Black 2 Redux team and i love it now! Just gotta keep it away from those pesky rocks...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    There are some Pokemon you maybe just don't like or care about. Perhaps you find them mid or you don't want to use them much. But then you actually try them out, and you end up liking what they have to offer! Do you have any Pokemon you didn't care for until you actually gave them a chance? Did your opinion change?

For me, one of them was Volcarona. I always found it to be pretty good, but it had a few flaws i could point out. Being 4x weak to Rock and Stealth Rocks hindering its progress was one of them. But then i actually used it. I ended up loving the Fire/Bug coverage it gave me. The movepool it had wasn't the greatest, but i loved the precise range of coverage it offered, with Giga Drain and Psychic. Now i'm using it on my Blaze Black 2 Redux team and i love it now! Just gotta keep it away from those pesky rocks...
    Merged your thread with a similar, existing thread.

Back