• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rival Names

Years
  • in games where you could name your rival (e.g. RBY, GSC, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BW2. etc.), how do you usually go about it?

are you the type to just leave their canon name as is? or do you name them after a real life rival/enemy? or are you like me and always find a way to meme them?

Years
  • I used to give them silly names..... like I named Silver 'Stupid' as a kid, I'm pretty sure. lol Nowadays I just go with the canon name, anything else feels really odd!

Years
    • Online now
    They get completely simple random names like "Tom, Billy, Phillip" etc.

Sometimes I might branch off and be a bit more creative.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • For most rivals, I named them after one of my friends.

Not Barry though. Barry is always named after a word I don't know if I can say here so I won't. The only reason for that is because his mother says something along the line of "My _______ took off as usual!" and I was hysterical reading that as a kid, so I kinda stick to it for the nostalgia. I swear I have nothing against Barry :P

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I usually name them after whatever the opposite of my trainer name is if I'm doing color names. My first rival in my first game was Silver in Gold version, but i didn't understand that the officer was telling me to give him a name because I'd not played RBY yet, so I called him ??? since that was his name in the first fight with him.

Other than color names, I just go with themes, like if I'm Stars my rival might be called Galaxy, or if I'm one of my old character names Riku, my rival might be another old character name like Dimitri.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2021
    My first rival in my first game was Silver in Gold version, but i didn't understand that the officer was telling me to give him a name because I'd not played RBY yet, so I called him ??? since that was his name in the first fight with him.

Oh man I'm so glad to hear someone else did this ha! I did the exact same thing. My little kid brain was like well it was listed as ??? so there you go xD

To answer the question, I just go with the canon name of the rival.

Years
  • i didn't understand that the officer was telling me to give him a name because I'd not played RBY yet, so I called him ??? since that was his name in the first fight with him.
    i played HGSS first and legit thought you could get a wrong answer if you didn't input the correct name (you were talking to a cop after all!). i remember seeing Passerby Boy so i straight up called him Boy for my first playthrough lmao. learned later that you could literally name him however you want, so i reset and promptly gave him "Butts" or something like that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nowadays, I usually just go with their canon name. Sometimes, I do use different name, if it fits the theme of my run.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I just go with the default. It's even better if they give a bunch of options to choose from rather than making us spell out their name letter by letter. I don't really care much about the rival nowadays, tbh. They need some more character.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I've always just stuck with the canon names because I feel like they already have established characters. "Gary" is always just "Gary" to me and I can't do something like slap the name of a friend onto him and feel like it fits. I've always kinda found it strange how they started out being established characters that could be named whatever you want, and I'm glad that they have names you can't change in more recent games. It'd be weird for me to name Hop something that isn't Hop.

Years
  • I am playing Heart Gold and I've named Silver Firick which I think is a mix of fire and rick but I am not sure the last part is that simple lol, maybe I have recorded what the name means to me but I think its a cool name :) cool haha :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm too generic, I usually stick with canon names or name them after friends so I can tell them that I can feel proud for beating their ass in a pokemon battle. xD

Years
  • Before I played VC Crystal, I watched a youtube video where the character named his rival butt*** in his gold version.....so I named mine..."Butter." o_o; I'm dumb I know. I think in VC Silver, I named him Cheese or something. I gotta check. In LGP, I kept the tradition and named him "Butter" once more. So yah...dairy food. o_o;

AussieJimmy

Jimmy
    Years
  • I named my rival in Gold after me I was about 5 or 6 at the time. I called my Rival in Red Gary after the anime. and then when I thought I was being clever I named him assbutt on a second playthrough.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • These days, I just name my rival Kir, and don't think much about it beyond that. I'll probably do that again when BD/SP come out, too, if we can still do that... lol.

Back