• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Today I learned (well, "today I got a Steam achievement telling me" would be a better way to phrase it) that Gabe Newell sent a garden gnome to space in 2020. (Yeah, it's a late achievement lol)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I was hungry so I was eating stale saltine crackers I found in our cabinet (first thing I grabbed).

I didn't know you could go taste blind. After eating enough of them, I can't even taste the staleness anymore.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    Today I learned (well, "today I got a Steam achievement telling me" would be a better way to phrase it) that Gabe Newell sent a garden gnome to space in 2020. (Yeah, it's a late achievement lol)
    I remember that one! My boyfriend got me into playing L4D2 and one of the big things that got me into playing besides modding the game to play as anime girls of course was that there's a carnival level and the whole "send the gnome into space" thing, I laughed so hard when I heard about that. Congrats on the achievement!

As for me, I learned at work today that there's a Digimon card game. And that people still buy cards of it. I took one look at the cards and had no clue how to play it, but hey there's half a box of cards from the first three sets of it at work, so that's something!

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I remember that one! My boyfriend got me into playing L4D2 and one of the big things that got me into playing besides modding the game to play as anime girls of course was that there's a carnival level and the whole "send the gnome into space" thing, I laughed so hard when I heard about that. Congrats on the achievement!
    I've never seen that gnome before! Sounds like an excuse to play Left 4 Dead 2 again soon with my brother :D

Today I learned in a Youtube video about music, that there are some spiders (called peacock spiders) that have a dancing choregraphy to seduce females. These spiders are kinda cute and colorful too :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    TIL that this season will be the first in 17 years that the cicadas will emerge! :)

Years
    Today I learned of an African legend associated with the island of Lamu off the coast of Kenya. The tale tells of a 600-year-old Chinese treasure ship that sank as it crossed the Indian Ocean. It is said that men who survived the ordeal washed up on Lamu Island in a Northeast village called Siyu, and wanted to stay in Africa. They had to slay a python first to prove their courage, and in the end the sailors are welcomed into the community, marry local women and they live happily ever after together.

I thought of it as a nice fable, but it seems to be more than a story. A research team of Kenyan and Chinese DNA scientists performed analysis on some of the villagers in the present-day community of Siyu, and found that people from this part of Africa have some ancient Chinese ancestry in their bloodline. Archeologists were also able to date the remains of some of the artifacts in the community like porcelain art work and coinage back to the Ming Dynasty. Historians contend that the legendary shipwreck was part of a fleet on a expedition for the famous explorer Zheng He. I thought that was an interesting bit of history.

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Today I learned that you can press comma on a (paused) Youtube video to go back by one frame.
    I will no longer be hating on those Youtubers that put single-frame jokes (five years after the last one stopped doing it lol).

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    TIL that most fragrances in mass produced beauty/hygiene products contain petroleum derivatives that have been engineered to smell smiliar to alcohol, but it's not perfect so especially lower quality perfumes smell kinda like gasoline/kerosene to some people.

Years
    Today I Learned:
    To stop being afraid or care what people think of me anymore. If they can't accept nor respect, my likes, dislikes, veiwes,opinions values on things and my spiritual beliefs then there simply not worth my time to worry any longer if I'm liked/loved. A TRUE person would like or love me for who I am and accept me as I am flaws, past and all. If such a person doesn't exist oh well I always have my family, family friends, help team, my pets and all animals to care and fully respect and support me. I trust animals more than people anyway.

Years
    Today I learned that i don't need an expensive smartphone to enjoy the heck out of it. i just installed PizzaBoy GBA Emulator on my new phone to transfer over my Unbound save file and maybe finish it on this platform, and so far i'm having a blast. the game flies and the audio is outstanding. thank you to my $200 Xiaomi phone with ads baked all over it that i don't mind ignoring all day.

Years
    Today I learned about how much danger there was in food everywhere during the Victorian era of England. Some of these horror stories I had heard before. I am familiar with a lot of practices back in the day that killed people like putting borax (detergent) in spoiled milk and thinking it would make it safe to drink, when in reality it would just kill children who drank it, and not the bacteria, and left the poor kids who survived susceptible to bovine tuberculosis transmitted from the rotten milk because this was a time before pasteurization.

However, there was still a lot of information that was brand new to me, and it was especially sad because often in these situations it wasn't just ignorance, but greedy merchants selling things they were well aware weren't good for people to eat, but doing it anyway to maximize profit-- something that still resonates today in the 21st century.

I learned from my reading that bakers and millers would put chalk, sand, sawdust, plaster of Paris and alum was in bread as a cheap filler in place of actual flour. Alum was used in particular because it made the bread look white and pretty, and retained water so the loaves would feel substantial, when you were really eatting a muth full of nothing. This could result in all sorts of digestive problems and even mean death from malnutrition over time.

Something else new to me was that just about anything from used tea leaves to dust, ashes to iron filings and sheep dung would be passed off as black tea by unscrupulous merchants. Lead chromate was added to mustard to cut costs so that it would look yellow without the real mustard seeds or tumeric. One of the worst to read about strchynine being put into beer to hide when it had been watered down, which could mean hallucinations and violent death. Yikes!

Last edited:

Allen303

A warrior who has lost his ability to fight, is on
    Years
    Today i learned how to make dalia indian sweet thing made up of milk and sugar, tell me a dish that i can try tommorow

Back