• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Ugliness

Years
    • Online now
    I noticed a trend down my social media news feeds of people self deprecating as ugly. So often I think "absolutely not", many who post these things I would define as the exact opposite.

I remember sitting in class in Freshman year, these kids across from me had been calling me ugly among some other things, while laughing. I didn't think too much of it, because I'm just me I guess, and always will be. not going to change how I look. But I came to understand how experiencing something like this would cut through people.

Instead of focusing on such things, what's your favorite feature about yourself? (Looks or Personality Wise). I've seen this topic before, but then again most topics cycle eventually and it's nice seeing positivity.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Absolutely nothing. I'm not attractive. End of story. But, I guess I have attractive legs.

By the way ugly is a disgusting word and I hate it.

Years
  • I was called ugly a lot in school. As for now, I'd have to ask a completely nonbiased person.
    Mostly I have a round, fat face. It doesn't really suit my body.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Sep 7, 2021
    i love my hair, it's curly but not wild. it sits right in a cozy textural and formational spot where i can wear it however i want and it looks good. 👌

Years
  • Ugly is a stupid term in and of itself since it is completely objective. Although I don't think I am unattractive in any besides maybe personality, my favorite feature/personality trait about myself is that I am always honest.

Years
  • I was bullied a bit myself over my looks and compared to some of my friends who were skinnier than me at the time, though that was proven to just be puberty and I grew out of it later. Still, kids are harsh and it always hurts to be bullied for how you look....and at all.

Definitely don't think I'm ugly though, probably did when I was in middle and junior high because of the occasional bullying but by the time I went to high school it all settled down and I stopped thinking much about it. There are things I do wish I could change about myself honestly (I want a cute and small round chin instead of what I have lol lol) but not enough where I'd actually pursue any type of surgery over it. It's more of a 'would be cool if I could have that but oh well, moving on' type of thing. I do like my hair and smile. :D

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I don't believe in ugliness--unless someone shows they are ugly through the way they treat others. For me that would mean someone who is purposefully hurtful and always points out negative things in others, it just reflects badly on their own beauty, regardless of how attractive their physical appearance is.

Otherwise, I have a high view of people and see everyone as beautiful in their own way. I'm not necessarily attracted to them, but everyone has something worth admiring!

I used to have serious body-image issues and thought myself as very ugly, though. I still find myself unphotogenic (takes me ages to get a nice photo and I always look really bad from a distance haha). These days, I like my hair, my eyes, my décolletage, and how completely natural I am as myself. I also think I can look quite pretty in the right light and when dressed up!

Years
  • Now this is a nice topic worth pinging.

I am comfortable with my body, my skin, weight and shape, and can say that I am in good health.

It did take me awhile to get to used to being tall though, and I have some memories where I felt self-conscious as a kid about things like not being able to get on rides with my friends because I was over the height limit--though we were all the same age. During a school play one time teacher stuck me in a boy's costume because the girl's outfits were too short on me, much to my chagrin.

Over the years though I have come to embrace my height as part of who I am, and have lived with my body for so long that I am used to it, and love it, and even if I could, I wouldn't change myself. I have even come to like being statuesque. In the stories I write I find myself often creating tall heroines. I would say my best feature would be probably my legs, they're long, shapely, athletic, feminine. I am told I also have very nice hands and clothes.

Even though I have become more at home with my appearance, i never thought of myself as hideous, though I was called ugly by some of the bullies in elementary and middle school, I never took the trolling that seriously, understanding that I wasn't the one who needed to change. I had enough affection and encouragement from family to know better than that, and as I got older and started doing more extracurricular activities in the community, and meeting more people, taking sports and acting classes, and finished high school and went to college, started dating and traveling the world I was surprised to actually even be called beautiful, rather than ugly by some kind souls.

Even if I am indeed ugly though, that isn't the end of my world. There's more to me than how I look, and being a beauty is not my priority in life. Learning and being a better person will profit me more.

I think beauty is also something that can be cultivated, even if the physical features you were born with are not considered beautiful by yourself or by others, this is not the only attribute that can be appealing and attractive. Your way of speaking, dressing, moving and carrying yourself through the world, as well as intellect, talent, sense of humor, strength of character, self-respect and respect for others, honesty and kindness, love of life, ambition and other good attributes can inspire fascination, admiration and love perhaps even more so than just a pretty face. I agree with Hyzenthlay that if what's inside you is ugly then nothing about the way you look will redeem you, at least in my eyes.

I am unique, bright with a sharp memory and eye for detail, can hold onto money, but also be generous and charitable, I have good ideas, I love animals, and am told that I can make others feel calm. I am sensitive, open-minded, tolerant and intrigued to learn new and different things, I'm quirky, passionate, free-spirited and loyal to my loved ones and do unto others as I would have them do unto me. Those are my favorite things about myself.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Another issue I have with my appearance is the fact that I have a hiatus hernia. My stomach thus bulges out and makes me look heavier/pregnant. I've had people stop and ask me when I'm due.
    I also have keloids all over my shoulders, back, and thighs, which also gathers the attention of rude people. My face is well aligned and my hair is decent, but the rest of me needs work that's out of my control. Thus, I feel like I'll never find love and I'll never be able to have a real social life.

Years
  • Another issue I have with my appearance is the fact that I have a hiatus hernia. My stomach thus bulges out and makes me look heavier/pregnant. I've had people stop and ask me when I'm due.

A girl that used to come to my house parties had this and it always seemed tough on her, especially since we always drank so people would give her a lot of dirty looks.

Years
  • I have a very low self esteem which I believe was brought about by bullying in High School. Boys were dared to ask my out and many sent fake valentines cards. I generally ignored them but then my self esteem took a real beating in college when all my friends (i kind you not. Every single one of them) had a partner and I didn't. It felt super awkward.

So yeh I think I'm Fugly. That hasn't changed. But some people I see who say they are ugly are beautiful! Both in and out. Yes some may say that for attention but other's (like me I guess) genuinely believe it.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc

I generally find people are a lot harsher towards themselves when it comes to physical appearance. I'm sure there are lots of things about my appearance that I hate that others wouldn't notice, or certainly wouldn't think twice about, and so such. Obviously there are some nasty people out there - and that's a kind of ugliness far worse than anything to do with physical appearance - but generally we're all our own worst critic.

My own self-esteem varies from day to day but I'm pretty dysmorphic when it comes to my appearance so it's hard to say how I'd class myself. I've felt worse if that counts lol

Years
  • Prior to my weight gain to become a healthy weight I'd have to say my chin and how sharp my face looked, however at that point in time I hated just about everything else about my body. Though since becoming a healthy weight I adore my body and honestly I'm never going back!

...Though I'm still getting used to having fat on my face lol

Years
  • I thought i was average to above average looking until i tried online dating. I actually thought that i would grow up to be like cocky or arrogant.

Almost everyone ignored or blocked me and the people who did talk to me would outright say i was ugly.

So my self esteem kinda went down over the years. But if i distract myself like with pokemon, it doesnt affect me much haha

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I thought i was average to above average looking until i tried online dating. I actually thought that i would grow up to be like cocky or arrogant.

Almost everyone ignored or blocked me and the people who did talk to me would outright say i was ugly.

So my self esteem kinda went down over the years. But if i distract myself like with pokemon, it doesnt affect me much haha
    Pay no attention to online dating, a lot of people do it for validation and you get people who have ridiculously high standards when it comes to appearance.

There is someone out there for everyone. Even if you think you're unattractive, there are people out there who think the exact opposite.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Another issue I have with my appearance is the fact that I have a hiatus hernia. My stomach thus bulges out and makes me look heavier/pregnant. I've had people stop and ask me when I'm due.
    I also have keloids all over my shoulders, back, and thighs, which also gathers the attention of rude people. My face is well aligned and my hair is decent, but the rest of me needs work that's out of my control. Thus, I feel like I'll never find love and I'll never be able to have a real social life.

I believe you can definitely find love and have a real social life regardless of those things. You have to believe it yourself and be willing to put yourself out there even if it may be hard at times. There are people for everyone out there, friends or lovers, I've seen it a thousand times over.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'm hot as fuck.

until i open my camera to take a picture.

I'm average/below average but was never really bullied for my looks even when I tried to reach out of my "league". Before I really started dating, some neighborhood kids would make fun of me for my weight and my big nose, but eventually everyone had better things to do with their time.

There's a lot I don't like about my physical appearance, but for the most part there's nothing I can realistically do about it.

Back