• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wisdom teeth

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Have you had your wisdom teeth taken out? If yes, how did you find the experience? I just had mine taken out earlier today and looking back in the 1 or 2 hours after, I sent some very ??? texts. I also had to do my assignment right after which probably wasn't the best choice! As of right now though, I'm looking forward to having an excuse to eat a ton of ice cream and relax to be honest. Curious to hear about everyone elses' experiences :D

Years
  • I had my wisdom tooth removed when I was 15. It was too many teeth for my mouth, I didn't really need it so it was extracted by a dentist because he thought it would gradually cause a misalignment.

I was anesthetized for the procedure. I remember inhaling laughing gas and being told to count backwards from a hundred to one while I reclined back in the chair at the dentist's office. I didn't make it beyond 98 before I was out cold. The next thing I remember was trying to murmur 97 as the dental engine was moved. I was now sitting up straight in the chair, and the nurses were cleaning the tools and helping me to my feet. Time had gone by without me noticing. It was all over without me feeling a thing. I felt numb and had zero memory of the actual surgery. I couldn't believe they had taken out my tooth already.

My mom picked me up and drove to the grocery store to get non-solid foods for me to consume while I recuperated. She also got my prescription filled for pain relievers to treat any soreness I had after the procedure. I waited for her in the car. While Initially l didn't feel any pain because I was so numb, there was still some awkwardness. My jaw looked swollen when I glanced in the mirror, and there was gauze in my mouth to stop any potential bleeding. I seemed to be moving slow and felt dreamy.

Towards the end of the car ride the medication was clearly wearing off, and I started feeling some sharp pain in my mouth, and groaned in discomfort while my mom was at the bank ATM.

She heard that I was in pain, and quickly gave me the prescription to stop it, and then she took me home to rest.

The medicine worked really well because once I took that I didn't feel a thing anymore. I don't know exactly what it was, but maybe a drug like codeine? I was instructed to take it daily for a couple of days to prevent any aches and pains.

I wasn't supposed to go to school, and stayed in bed to recover, playing video games and watching movies for a week or too. That was the best part. For the first day it was fun to live on ice cream and milk shakes, but after a few days of that I was ready for some real food. I didn't want anymore soups, mashed potatoes or chicken salad, and began sneaking bites of solid food. I was glad when I could go back to normal. My mouth healed very well on spite of my secret snacking.

I don't miss having that tooth there or really even notice it's absence. Everything seems to look and work just fine without it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I still have all of mine! they grew in without problems and fit just fine. in my culture, it's not normal to remove them just because unless they actually cause issues. they can be a bit harder to clean being so far back though, so it's a bit easier for cavities to form, but I floss daily and have a water flosser to clean back there too. and when I brush I make sure to properly scrub back there haha

Years
  • I had 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out and I remember I was in pain and I had to skip school for a week.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Mine are growing in right now, and tbh? I'm probably not gonna get them removed because I have a fear of surgery. Right now, they're growing in with absolutely no pain, so, yolo for now? But yeah, I have a big fear of surgery and am hoping that I'll never be told that mine have to removed. I'd rather just deal with them existing in my mouth permanently. :x

Years
  • Mine never hurt, but it was recommended I get them out awhile before I did because it was pushing. Half of a back tooth broke off, without me knowing, and not in any pain, so it was like "Seriously get these out". They put me under and it was pretty painless. I only needed like 2 days to recuperate.

pkmin3033

I've had three of my wisdom teeth removed. They started coming through when I was 25 and god almighty it hurt like hell. I couldn't sleep, eat, or even fucking BREATHE at the time without stabbing pain that radiated across my entire head and neck, and getting them taken out was a relief. I was terrified the entire time I was going to get dry socket, but my dentist knows what he's doing, so thankfully that was never a thing. I've heard horror stories of dry socket pain being worse than the pain you're trying to escape by having the tooth removed and I have no particular desire to test those claims. The relief was instantaneous, though - asides from a nasty taste of blood and anaesthetic in my mouth and a weird numbness that made it difficult to move my jaw for a couple of hours afterwards, the pain was gone.

I'm shocked so many people in here were put under just for extractions...my dentist just gave me a local anaesthetic, took it out, then sent me home. None of the three I've had took any longer than 15 minutes. I can't say being awake the whole time was a pleasant experience, but it was better than being put to sleep. If he'd wanted to send me to hospital or put me to sleep I would probably still be in pain (or hopefully I would have found another dentist) because I am terrified of hospitals. That said, I pay for a private dentist...the NHS dentist I saw first wouldn't do it at his clinic and wanted me to go to hospital to have it removed. I never saw him again after that. Bastard.

Bay

Years
  • I had 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 18 because they were getting too painful for me. After the procedure was done, it took a couple days for my mouth to heal. I was taking summer classes at my university and I had a class the day after the dentist appointment. With my mouth still not fully healed, I went to class without talking much. A friend of mine who sat next to me kept asking me questions about that day's lecture, so I had to write down my responses to her on paper lol.

Years
  • I'm 30 and mine are still in. One of them is in bad shape and should be removed. But I haven't been to a dentist in like 15 years and I just know I can't afford all the work I need done, even with insurance.

The joys of being working poor in the United States!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I never had any of mine grow in so I never had to worry about them. Lucky me...lol.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I still have these suckers. Watched my husband have his removed a year ago though. Shit if that doesn't give me a reason to take care of them lmao.

Years
  • so glad my wisdom teeth didn't need to be plucked out like a lot of folks. they just hurt like a mf for a couple months then randomly just stopped. i'm one of the lucky ones whose mouths haven't deformed enough to still have space for all teeth.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Haven't had mine taken out. Aside from the growing pains of them first coming in, they haven't hurt or caused any trouble at all.

Years
  • Had all four removed in one surgery back in 2014.
    My surgeon was nice, I was pretty lucky.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i had mine removed at christmas time in 2009 and got on pc on christmas eve high on the pain killers and made a thread in the staff area called "happy brithat jesus"

Years
  • I had my bottom ones removed about five years ago? I didn't want to pay to get put under so I was awake for it and whenever one of my teeth broke I would start laughing so hard from whatever they had given me that the dentist even cracked up a little once. 😂 It was easy though, took like an hour, threw away the hydros because fuck that and I went to work the next day.

Back