• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Working 9 to 5...

Years
  • ...what a way to make a livin'!

Ahem.

So for those that work - what are your working weeks? Something fairly normal like a Mon-Fri 9-5 or something crazy including [shuddering], weekend work? If you could take a day off in said week, what day and why?

I'm on a fairly normal schedule - 08:00-16:30 Mondays and 08:30-17:00 Tuesdays - Fridays, I think I'd honestly want a Monday or Friday off just to have that longer weekend!

pkmin3033

6:30 - 12:30, with Wednesdays and weekends off. I can't work full time because of my health and I am very much a morning person, so I start as early as I possibly can so I can get it out of the way.

I'm fine with having the Wednesdays off although I do wonder what having a long weekend would be like.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • 16.00 to 00.00. Although five days out of 10 -so every other day- I get to leave at 23.00, because the last hour is beyond dead 90% of the time.

What a beautiful way to spend my 21,000th post.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    7 am - 4 pm, five days a week. I like working early ^^"

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The place I work has dumb hours because of Reasons but my schedule for now is 9-12 Sun-Tues and Thurs-Fri. Kinda hate that! Despite it only being three hours, the way my brain works is that any amount of shift time takes the same amount of energy out of me, whether it is three hours or eight. And I can't stand having only one day off between shifts. My boss is supposed to teach me how to do the schedule for my location this month so I'll be able to fix it for September but for now- disgusting.

also this is clearly a job i do not rely on for financial anything; this is just a job that i go to and vibe at because i like it and get a free gym membership with it

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Very much 9/5 but it is more like 11-12/5. That is because I do not consider "waking up and prepare for work" and "commuting" as "free time activity". <_<

We have core working hours from 9-15/Mo-Fri no matter if support or software dev. I usually stay from 6-15 (well, a little bit longer).

In the past I had a job that very much taught me that I hate shift work very much. I already have sleeping problems and having to shift from night shift to early shift really messed with me every time. Never again! <_<

Years
  • Tuesday - Saturday. Yes I work on Saturdays, but I get Mondays off so who cares =P
    As for the time... I don't have a fixed time. I start at 10:00, and I finish whenever all my routes have been completely delivered. Which on a slow day can be as early as 14:00. But on a really busy day can be as late as 21:00 (my current late finish record =P).... so yeah. On average I usually finish somewhere between 16:00 and 18:00.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • my whole life I've done non conventional jobs with odd hours. Like doing intense long shifts through the weekend fri, sat and sun and then not working as much in the week. Or a late afternoon start working like 2pm-10pm. All sorts of weird unconventional hours in different roles, and if I did have to do "normal" hours one day it would be rare.
    For one period I did work in a office for a while 9-6 and I swear it almost killed me. I had to get up at 6 and leave at 7 because my commute for that job was also 1.5hrs and I had to account for delays, that job absolutely decimated my health and well being over about 6 months or so (I was also smoking like 30 a day which could've been part of it). I have Insomnia too and would get back late and would always stress about not getting enough sleep. The commute in London was disgusting too, I've done some shitty jobs in my time, but the one that was the worst for me & was actually the most "normal" haha.
    After leaving that job I found another one with much more flexible hours and built my schedule around what worked for me again. I honestly wish I'd left that job much sooner, so anyone going through anything similar, my advice is just quit. Some people aren't built for that, and it's not worth trying to force yourself. Just find something that works for u!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I usually don't have a consistent work schedule, as when I work depends on when other people take personal/sick/vacation days (....and if I feel like it). When I do work it's usually like 2pm/14:00 to 10pm/22:00. Summers are more consistent, being Monday-Thursday, although the time has varied slightly over the years (it's been 6:30am to 2:30pm, 7am to 3pm, and this summer 8am to 4pm).

16.00 to 00.00. Although five days out of 10 -so every other day- I get to leave at 23.00, because the last hour is beyond dead 90% of the time.
    Why those hours exactly? iirc you work as a journalist for a news outlet in Madrid, and that doesn't register to me as a job that needs people to come in at that sort of timeframe. Or is it something where they have people working round the clock and that's your shift? Or something else?

Years
  • I'm an hourly worker, my schedule is whatever my manager decides it is. We have an app to check updates.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I work Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30am - 5:00pm during the school year. In the holidays, I am expected to work full time so Monday - Friday but I have fingers crossed they'll be open to me doing part-time during the break.

I used to work quite a bit of overtime and can be expected to stay back, depending on how urgent the deadlines are. I think the latest I've stayed back is 7pm? I like my days because it means I don't have to work Friday so yay.

My schedule works for me. I used to work weekend jobs before this and I missed having a free weekend so much. I go to university on the other 2 days and it can be hard balancing the two. But I've been making a strong effort to make sure I'm not guilting myself into needing to be productive all the time like before and I've felt better since doing that.

Next term when I have more classes, I will most likely need to resign because it just won't work with my uni schedule but I don't mind my hours or my job now that I've got more used to it. I wouldn't mind trying to find a similar role again in the future somewhere else.

Years
  • I work at university, so my schedule changes every 3-4 months. Right now, there is exams period, but my students are mostly done with my subjects, so I have holidays. Well, I do work on my research and phd, but I don't have fixed hours for that.

The next semester starts in October and I should work Monday (12:00-18:00), Tuesday (8:00-15:00) and Thursday (7:00-14:00). I like those hours.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Why those hours exactly? iirc you work as a journalist for a news outlet in Madrid, and that doesn't register to me as a job that needs people to come in at that sort of timeframe. Or is it something where they have people working round the clock and that's your shift? Or something else?

It's an economic newspaper and I was hired for international news, mostly UK and US. And Wall Street closes at 22.00, so the bare minimum hour for someone to leave is about 23.00, to make sure all the after-closing-hours news (if there's any) are accounted for.

Then there's the fact that someone has to make sure all the articles written for the print edition are uploaded and scheduled to launch on the website at 6.00 and leave the morning fromt page ready to go live so the morning shift don't have to do it in a rush. So yeah, save for the dead-of-night hours, there's got to be someone around almost all day.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I work in accounting for a global company. Typically, I'll work from from 8:30AM to 5:30PM from Monday through Friday. I work weekends as needed, but not often. My employer offers a hybrid working environment so I'll usually work from home to save time on commute.

During crunch week (first ten days of the month), I will work from 8AM to 1AM. It sucks because the U.S. team relies on teams based out in Europe, Asia, and Australia so I'll work very odd and long hours for month-end close. I have to post all of my accounting journal entries to close out the books 72 hours after the month ends (so by August 3rd for example). The next several business days I compile more data for regulatory compliance purposes. I can't change the deadlines. It is exhausting, but I knew it was a fast paced company to begin it. It also pays the bills well.

The good thing is that I'm coasting the last 2-3 weeks of the month. That would be the time I can take a day off. It'd be a Monday or Friday so that way I can enjoy a 3 day weekend.

Years
  • Technically, I am a 9-5 however this does of course vary depending on work load and meetings.

Honestly, I love the schedule. It keeps me in a healthy cycle and generally on track; waking up and preparing myself for the day at a nice early hour each morning.

The office environment I thrive in, I get along with most people I work with/around and I think the culture of it all is an area in which I'm very comfortable. I'm a sociable person so I like being around others, plus we're always down to hit the pub after work from time to time so it all works out quite well.

I suppose working in London also contributes positively to my office experience.

Years
  • My last job was a standard 9-5, except it felt like much longer since my commute to/from work was between 1.5 and 2 hours. Never doing something like that again. Did have a job before then that was more annoying hours though - I'd have days where I got home at 11PM and then had to be at work at 9AM the next day. That was also really annoying and I'd rather not have such close working hours again. What is life? I literally ran home, flossed/brushed, showered, then went to sleep immediately for work the next day. Was mentally draining lol.

Years
  • i work a 9 to 5 but it's more like 10 to 6:30 lmao

but on wednesdays and fridays i work 8:00 to 4:30

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I work a schedule that is very close but a little off from that - 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (it would be 8 to 5 if not for our lunches being 30 minutes instead of an hour), Monday through Friday.

Now, I've experienced all kinds of shifts and this one is by far my favorite. I've worked nights and early morning shifts (4am to 1pm) and both of them were awful. My mental health was low with those shifts. Not to mention that I worked the 4am job after I began getting my chronic pain, and it was a stocking job. I nearly got suicidal working that job in between the pain that would never go away that made the job torture for me and the horrible hours.

This shift is paradise in comparison. Honestly, I would gladly have it start at 9 instead, but I am a pretty early riser by nature so it's not too far off my sleeping schedule to wake up at 6 to get ready.

Sure, I still feel burnout, I still find how rigid a full-time job is to be a bit much for me, but trust me, compared to where I was before, I am so happy. I hope I never have to work any of those strange shifts ever again. It just isn't natural.

Years
  • The cool thing about freelancing is I can wake up and work literally whenever. For the past couple weeks I've usually woken up at 1pm started working around 2-3pm, then finishing around 7 or 8, depending on how efficient I was. This whole sched came about bcs I just couldn't sleep on any time before 5am lol

Back