• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Poké Balls you don't like the designs of and avoid using?

I used to avoid using Great Balls in RSE because I didn't like the way they looked, from the ball design itself to the animation that showed when you sent something out. Even though these throwing animations look different now I still don't like Great Balls too much and will avoid catching any Pokémon I plan to keep permanently/am working on perfecting in them. Same deal with Ultra Balls.

Are there any you don't like very much, or do you not care what you catch things with?

Years
    As much as possible I used to wanna have all my Pokemon in simple Pokeballs bcs that's what all the NPCs had theirs in, and I didn't like standing out lol. Anyway I digress, Great Balls are def the least aesthetic looking ones, followed shortly by Ultra Balls. I'll take Quick Balls and Dusk Balls anytime of the day (preferably night bcs the latter works best then)

Years
    The default PokeBall and Repeat Ball. I avoid them whenever I can.
    And although I think it's design is ugly as heck, I do use the Dusk Ball when catching at night.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Dusk Balls: Specifically for the orange stripe. Sticks out too much.

Fast Balls: Looks like polka dots on the sprite. Bleeds into the silver part too.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Lately I have been trying to use only common Poké Balls for catching team members because red is my favourite color, despite it being the most basic Ball one can use. If the kind of Poké Balls one uses makes a statement, then a common Poké Ball is perfect for me. As a result, I tend to steer clear of all other Balls except maybe Luxury Balls and Premier Balls.

I feel kind of ashamed of this though, because I used to boast more variety in the past. Heck, my favourite was the Dusk Ball, and now I hate what it looks like both outside and inside.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I don't see a reason to not use a Pokeball just because the design isn't that great. I'll use any Pokeball I can to catch a Pokemon, tbh. "aesthetic" doesn't matter to me in the slightest. It's a Pokeball, I'm going to use whatever ones I have.

This is the one side of the Pokemon fandom I just really don't understand. No offense, or anything?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Regular pokeballs and repeat. Seems no point catching same pokemon unless you aim is to shiny hunting also other ball have better chances. Heal ball is nice and all healing your caught pokemon without potion but still same catch rate. Not fond of premier ball it's just another pokeball that given out for free once in a while

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    For Pokémon that I intend to be part of my actual team, I have the habit of trying to catch each of them using a different Ball (preferably Balls that match their color or theme). I say 'trying' because of course it's not allways possible depending on each game's Balls availability, or because starters/gift Pokémon being stuck with regular PokéBalls.

I don't particularly dislike any design, I just usually avoid using the regular Poké-Great-Ultra Ball for Pokémon I want on my team If I can help it, but for anything else I just use whatever I have.

Best are easily Love, Heall, Dive, Premier, and Luxury.. but I do like other apricorn balls also. Usually my inventory is stacked with Luxury since it's easy to buy and a great ball to catch things with when the ones I like don't color match as well. There's just something super satisfying about using these ones, especially for shiny dynamax raid legends!

sorry great and ultra but I don't like you two :'(

Years
    hmm my problem is that I would love to have all pokemon in the same kind of ball lol. So, I often rely on ultra balls, even tho the starters and the first caught pokemon are always in normal poke balls. This kinda disturbs me lol
    anyway, yeah i often avoid using all other kinds of poke balls. I think the ones I like less are heavy balls, dusk balls and heal balls. There are some other balls I don't really like, but they're often not available in the games or they are just rare, I guess. Those are: lure ball and repeat ball. All of the others are pretty nice to me. I love dive balls and beast balls. All the Hisuian ones are really cool as well!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Net, Repeat, and Timer Balls grew on me by the time I got to Platinum. Particularly the clock animation when you send out a pokémon caught in the latter - makes it perfect for all the super-ancient legendaries. But Luxury Balls took until I decided they'd be a perfect fit for N's Purrloin to get any use from me, and despite considering it the perfect ball for a Woobat, I still think the Heal Ball is ugly. Great and Ultra Balls too aren't good to look at, although seeing it in 3D in Sword the Great Ball holds slightly more appeal for me now.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I'm not fond of Net, Timer, and Repeat Balls because of the ball animation. They aren't a good fit for most of the Pokémon I'll use on my team. Usually, I'll just catch Pokémon in whatever Poke/Great/Ultra Ball I have during that point in the game.

If I'm wanting to use a special ball during the post game, I go with Luxury, Premier, Heal, or Dive Balls. I especially like the last one because of the bubbles.

Years
    ultra balls are probably the only pokeballs which i actually dislike due to the colour scheme. >< in a vast majority of scenarios i will choose any other ball aside from ultras.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Nah, there's always at least one Pokémon whose color palette or typing or general feel matches that of the Pokéball.

I guess out of all the "main" Pokéballs out there I use the Safari Ball the least, realistically. But it's not because I don't like it or anything. /shrug!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I couldn't care less about a PokéBall's design. Instead, I judge a PokéBall based upon how it is meant to be used. As far as I'm concerned, they all have their uses that come in handy.

Years
    I remember being a bit annoyed about Net Balls and Dive Balls. I understand the purpose of each, but ultimately it boils down to two Pokeballs that are better at catching Water types. (I know Net Balls work well on Bugs too). Why didn't we get a Herb Ball for grass types, a Volt Ball for Electric Types, Plain Ball for Normal types etc? I feel like it was a missed opportunity.

Luxury Balls looked incredible… and you get one per game, in Generation 3. A ball that could easily fail. Honestly Gen 3 introduced some cool looking balls (Luxury, Premier, Timer) but made some strange decisions about them. And I still missed the Apricorn Balls, even if they didn't work properly (not that I knew that at the time!).

Last edited:
    Years
    Not really, maybe Great Balls or Friend Balls. I'll still use them on a few Pokemon that go well with them but there aren't many of those around so I rarely use them and they are by default my least favorite Pokeballs.

Years
    As far as my memory serves, I can't think of any that I don't like. I avoid using Great Ball in Gen III games, because I don't like its animation, but otherwise, I'll use whatever I have on me at the moment and is fitting the situation.

Back